Ok, let's play with this lingua concept...

  • Mir Plemmons
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 7 8:22 AM
      There are what I'd think of as jargon words among us - what examples can you
      think of where we change word meaning and word order, in addition to the
      words we have flat-out added to Standard American English vocab?

      I *am* looking at linguistics right now, and that sounds fun!

      (sick, I know...)
      Mir

    • purplkat@optonline.net
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 7 8:29 AM
        off the top of my head - 'Bad' - something very good

        Katheryne

        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 7 8:57 AM
          Cool now means neato versus cold

          Nom is now a word for food thanks to LOL cats

          Course we say LOL in speaking versus just typing..or is that just me?

          In the science, medical and engineering aspects we speak entirely in
          acronyms. I've been in a meeting on my new program where on the "the", "a",
          "and" and a verb were used in about a 10 min conversation...everything else
          was acronyms.

          There is a generation of us (though it might be wider than a generation)
          that speaks in movie quotes. It sometimes reminds me of the episode of
          ST:TNG where Picard is stranded on a planet with an alien who only speaks in
          metaphors ...very similar to the movie quote thing. Cause if you haven't
          seen the movie, you don't quite get it when some one pops into your cube and
          yells "SQUIRREL!"

          The geeks in us talk in game terms such as
          "Lots d-10"
          "I rolled a 4!"
          "Oh, crit fumble"
          "5 dots in 'DUH!'"
          course again, that could just be my group of friends and family. I did go
          to an all engineering and science school and work as an engineer modernly so
          maybe I'm a git skewed.

          I'm sure I can come up with more..though they aren't specific.
          Ianuk

          On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 8:29 AM, <purplkat@...> wrote:

          > off the top of my head - 'Bad' - something very good
          >
          > Katheryne

        • Elaine Manyoki
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 7 12:29 PM
            Yes, it does. But what idiot came up with the word sick to mean the best? If
            something is sick, then to me that equals bad, and possibly infectious. I went
            through this whole word meaning thing with my parents in the middle 60's, and
            just decided to speak, euphemistically speaking, the King's English. I have
            neither the desire or the time to carry around a translation book for folks who
            choose to speak in opposites.
            Katya

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 7 1:06 PM
              > ________________________________
              > From: Jennifer Nelson Kemp <lady.ianuk@...>

              > It sometimes reminds me of the episode of
              > ST:TNG where Picard is stranded on a planet with an alien
              > who only speaks in
              > metaphors ...

              pardon my geek moment but: *squeal* Love that episode! It's called "Darmok" and it was just on the BBCAmerica last week one evening.

              --Kaz
              --(Sfandra hasn't ever heard of Star Trek... unless it involves a journey using the stars for navigation...) ;)
            • Anthony Bryant
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 7 1:21 PM
                On Jul 7, 2010, at 4:06 PM, Sfandra wrote:

                > > ________________________________
                > > From: Jennifer Nelson Kemp <lady.ianuk@...>
                >
                > > It sometimes reminds me of the episode of
                > > ST:TNG where Picard is stranded on a planet with an alien
                > > who only speaks in
                > > metaphors ...
                >
                > pardon my geek moment but: *squeal* Love that episode! It's called "Darmok" and it was just on the BBCAmerica last week one evening.

                Picard, his face in his palm.

                Effingham
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 7 1:38 PM
                  > > pardon my geek moment but: *squeal* Love that episode!
                  > >It's called "Darmok" and it was just on the BBCAmerica last
                  > >week one evening.
                  >
                  > Picard, his face in his palm.
                  >

                  > Effingham

                  THHhhhppppp! :D :D

                  --Sfandra
                • Anthony Bryant
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 7 2:00 PM
                    On Jul 7, 2010, at 4:38 PM, Sfandra wrote:

                    > > > pardon my geek moment but: *squeal* Love that episode!
                    > > >It's called "Darmok" and it was just on the BBCAmerica last
                    > > >week one evening.
                    > >
                    > > Picard, his face in his palm.
                    > >

                    > > Effingham
                    > >

                    > THHhhhppppp! :D :D

                    LOL!

                    I love that episode, too. It strikes me as logically insane on all sorts of levels, but it's also just sooooo damned cool.

                    I remember seeing an ad for a concert with Pickard in a vest and no shirt, ripping on a bass, and the slogan "DARMOK & JALAD at Tanagra -- September 1991" and featuring such songs as "Shaka, when the walls fell" and "Sokath, his eyes uncovered".

                    Man, I want that on a shirt.

                    Effingham
                  • Elaine Manyoki
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 7 9:58 PM
                      That is a favorite of mine, as well. If you ever find a place that would put
                      that on a shirt, let the rest of us know, OK?
                      Katya

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 8 10:49 AM
                        On Jul 8, 2010, at 12:58 AM, Elaine Manyoki wrote:

                        > That is a favorite of mine, as well. If you ever find a place that would put
                        > that on a shirt, let the rest of us know, OK?

                        Well, there's always CafePress. There is a "Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra" T-shirt there, but that's ALL it has. Very vanilla.

                        Effingham
                      • Elaine Manyoki
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 8 2:44 PM
                          Yeah, I see your point....besides which, if I DID get the shirt, and no photo to
                          go along with the text, it would take me 45 minutes to explain to non-Trek folks
                          what it meant....much as I have to do with my SCA garb, ...over, and over,
                          and..well, you know...however, I have been thinking about making a shirt with my
                          favorite line from the new Trek movie on it, and a photo of Chris Pine...when he
                          tells the Romulan.."I got your gun!..."...or him and Karl Urban trying to cure
                          his case of numb tongue...Those two moments are pure, classic Trek...
                          Katya

                          ________________________________
                          On Jul 8, 2010, at 12:58 AM, Elaine Manyoki wrote:

                          > That is a favorite of mine, as well. If you ever find a place that would put
                          > that on a shirt, let the rest of us know, OK?

                          Well, there's always CafePress. There is a "Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra" T-shirt
                          there, but that's ALL it has. Very vanilla.

                          Effingham

                        • Yevgeniya Pechenaya
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 8 9:08 PM
                            Oh wow this is so cool! The scroll came out gorgeous!

                            Thank you,

                            Lada

                            Oooooh...
                            SHINY!

                            ________________________________

                            On Jul 7, 2010, at 4:38 PM, Sfandra wrote:

                            > > > pardon my geek moment but: *squeal* Love that episode!
                            > > >It's called "Darmok" and it was just on the BBCAmerica last
                            > > >week one evening.
                            > >
                            > > Picard, his face in his palm.
                            > >

                            > > Effingham
                            > >

                            > THHhhhppppp! :D :D

                            LOL!

                            I love that episode, too. It strikes me as logically insane on all sorts of
                            levels, but it's also just sooooo damned cool.

                            I remember seeing an ad for a concert with Pickard in a vest and no shirt,
                            ripping on a bass, and the slogan "DARMOK & JALAD at Tanagra -- September 1991"
                            and featuring such songs as "Shaka, when the walls fell" and "Sokath, his eyes
                            uncovered".

                            Man, I want that on a shirt.

                            Effingham

                          • DariaH
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jul 12 11:12 AM
                              Is there a picture of this scroll for viewing. I'd love to see it!

                              Magdalena