RE: [sig] An Tirian was Russian apprenticeship

  • christopher chastain
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 6, 2010
      Oh I can see this going down some interesting paths

      Yours in Humble Service,
      Dmitrii (Proud Trimarian)

      To: sig@yahoogroups.com
      From: bphall76@...
      Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 16:40:00 -0400
      Subject: [sig] An Tirian was Russian apprenticeship

      Well, no, but as a Russian would I actually speak English? How would I communicate with all my friends most of whom don't speak Russian? (More to the point, Vasilisa may speak Russian, but Britta's Russian is almost non-existent). Why wouldn't the language of the Kingdom I live in be called after the kingdom? Don't those who live in Atlantia speak Atlantian?

      Vasilisa

      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 6, 2010
        But surely that analogy breaks down when it comes to the existence of a language called Drachenwaldian?

        Surely it would be easier to assume that everyone is (at the very least) bilingual and everyone is speaking a mutually understood lingua franca? Especially if we're discussing the SCA and the assumption that we are generally some sort of nobility, the implication is that we've had some level of education. (As evidenced by the fact that we're all apparently literate and writing these missives...)

        ~Asfridhr

        --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, bphall76@... wrote:
        <<Snip>>
        Why wouldn't the language of the Kingdom I live in be called after the kingdom? Don't those who live in Atlantia speak Atlantian?
        <<snip>>
        > Vasilisa
      • Lisa Kies
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 6, 2010
          SCA-tin?

          :-)

          Sofya
          On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 7:30 PM, Quokkaqueen <quokkaqueen@...> wrote:

          > Surely it would be easier to assume that everyone is (at the very least)
          > bilingual and everyone is speaking a mutually understood lingua franca?
          > Especially if we're discussing the SCA and the assumption that we are
          > generally some sort of nobility, the implication is that we've had some
          > level of education. (As evidenced by the fact that we're all apparently
          > literate and writing these missives...)
          >
          > ~Asfridhr
          >
          > --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, bphall76@... wrote:
          > <<Snip>>
          > Why wouldn't the language of the Kingdom I live in be called after the
          > kingdom? Don't those who live in Atlantia speak Atlantian?
          > <<snip>>
          > > Vasilisa

        • Elaine Manyoki
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 6, 2010
            I don't know about Atlantian, but I definitely speak Trimarian, y'all....
            Katya

            There is actually a language called An Tirian??? :-)

            Patricia, an Atlantian

            Messages in this topic (4)

            Recent Activity: New Members 1
            Visit Your Group

            MARKETPLACE

            Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the
            Yahoo! Toolbar now.

            .