Eesti chain cap ('diadem')

  • Kirsten M. O'Brien
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 30, 2010
      So, for my Baronial Arts championship, we are required to make things in
      several fields, and one is metalwork. I am making an Eesti chain cap, since
      my persona is Estonian... if I don't win, I at least get to wear a pretty
      hat! However, the only documentation for it that I have is what I found
      posted in the files section of SIG, and I don't know what books or museums
      they are from. Please, does anyone else know?

      Many thanks,

      Rekon of Saaremaa

    • Quokkaqueen
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 30, 2010

        Kaarma, Melanie and Aino Voolman. Eesti rahvaroivad [Estonian Folk Costume]. Tallinn: Eesti Ramat, 1981.

        Oh!! I found this article that might be useful, too!
        http://www.muuseum.viljandimaa.ee/aastaraamat/2004/kiudsoo.pdf
        http://muuseum.viljandimaa.ee/aastaraamat/2004/tahvlid.pdf (colour plates on page 7.)

        It isn't *exactly* the same as the the one from... I think it's called Kirbla?... but it might have something useful in there if you run it through Google translate. (It mentions the 'Lihula headdress', the district Kirbla is in on the first page as an example of this sort of headwear. I _think_ it's talking about the chain cap we're looking for.)

        Can't help much more than that, maybe Nadya is still lurking on the list and can help?

        ~Asfridhr

        --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Kirsten M. O'Brien" <kirstenmae@...> wrote:

        > So, for my Baronial Arts championship, we are required to make things in
        > several fields, and one is metalwork. I am making an Eesti chain cap, since
        > my persona is Estonian... if I don't win, I at least get to wear a pretty
        > hat! However, the only documentation for it that I have is what I found
        > posted in the files section of SIG, and I don't know what books or museums
        > they are from. Please, does anyone else know?
        >
        > Many thanks,
        >
        > Rekon of Saaremaa

      • Quokkaqueen
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 30, 2010
          Ack! Wait! The reference in the PDF I linked to, goes back to:

          Kiudsoo, M. 2002. "Läänemaal valmistatud 16. sajandi peaehetest." _Läänemaa Muuseumi Toimetised_, VI, 57–66. Haapsalu.
          Which has a summary in Estonian here: http://www.muuseum.haapsalu.ee/v/index.php?lk=11036&show=11060#pealkiri

          It looks like the author is into numismatics, so is more interested in the coins decorating the bottom of it _but_ it's a start.
          (and it looks like you can purchase one here: http://www.raamatukoi.ee/cgi-bin/raamat?13904 but I have no idea about shipping costs.)

          ~Asfridhr

          --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Quokkaqueen" <quokkaqueen@...> wrote:

          > Kaarma, Melanie and Aino Voolman. Eesti rahvaroivad [Estonian Folk Costume]. Tallinn: Eesti Ramat, 1981.
          >
          > Oh!! I found this article that might be useful, too!
          > http://www.muuseum.viljandimaa.ee/aastaraamat/2004/kiudsoo.pdf
          > http://muuseum.viljandimaa.ee/aastaraamat/2004/tahvlid.pdf (colour plates on page 7.)
          >
          > It isn't *exactly* the same as the the one from... I think it's called Kirbla?... but it might have something useful in there if you run it through Google translate. (It mentions the 'Lihula headdress', the district Kirbla is in on the first page as an example of this sort of headwear. I _think_ it's talking about the chain cap we're looking for.)
          >
          > Can't help much more than that, maybe Nadya is still lurking on the list and can help?
          >
          > ~Asfridhr
          >

          > --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Kirsten M. O'Brien" <kirstenmae@> wrote:
          > >
          > > So, for my Baronial Arts championship, we are required to make things in
          > > several fields, and one is metalwork. I am making an Eesti chain cap, since
          > > my persona is Estonian... if I don't win, I at least get to wear a pretty
          > > hat! However, the only documentation for it that I have is what I found
          > > posted in the files section of SIG, and I don't know what books or museums
          > > they are from. Please, does anyone else know?
          > >
          > > Many thanks,
          > >
          > > Rekon of Saaremaa

        • Kirsten O
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 1, 2010
            Many thanks! Now I beginning to wonder whether I will need to learn more Estonian than the word for 'century'...

            :)

            Rekon