How do I wrap leggings?

  • Petr
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 26, 2010
      I am trying to at least have one set of close-to-fully-accurate-looking garb - with leggings (obmotki). I have found a site that tells how to wrap (relatively) modern puttees, but not obmotki. Puttees are rolled, then unrolled - starting 6" up the shin - double wrapped at the ankle, then just rolled up the calf. I would then use rawhide (wrapped criss-cross) from the ankle and tied just below the knee.

      If anyone knows any better way to do this PLEASE let me know.

      Thanks. . .

      Petr Kotok
    • Lisa Kies
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 29, 2010
        Greetings from Sofya to Petr!

        On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 6:00 PM, Petr <gnomepete@...> wrote:

        > I am trying to at least have one set of close-to-fully-accurate-looking
        > garb - with leggings (obmotki). I have found a site that tells how to wrap
        > (relatively) modern puttees, but not obmotki. Puttees are rolled, then
        > unrolled - starting 6" up the shin - double wrapped at the ankle, then just
        > rolled up the calf. I would then use rawhide (wrapped criss-cross) from the
        > ankle and tied just below the knee.
        >
        > If anyone knows any better way to do this PLEASE let me know.
        >
        > Thanks. . .
        >
        > Petr Kotok

        I wear my leg wraps (onuchi) over knee-length nogovitsy (hosen) made of wool
        or linen left over from other garments. The leg wraps are 3-3.5 inches
        wide and 2-3 yards long.

        Keeping onuchi on can be a trick, especially when made of linen or smooth
        wools, instead of fuzzy wools which stick to themselves better. For me, the
        keys to keeping leg wraps on:

        - Wrap from the top down - the lower wraps lock in the upper wraps.
        - Wrap over *snug* nogovitsy. The wraps slide less on fabric than on bare
        skin. (The nogovitsy need to be a little snug so they won't slide, either. )

        - Gartors or the long laces add extra security.

        The black leather lacings (povorozi) should be tied twice at the top. That
        is to say, once you've criss-crossed up to just below the knee, you tie a
        non-slip knot, then take the laces around to the other side of the leg and
        tie another knot. This forms a fixed loop that should be too small to slide
        down to your ankles.

        And this is how Mordak puts on his socks:
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBf-IwpgYeo

        I hope this helps.

        ___
        http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
        {o,o}
        (__(|
        "Nasytivshimsya knizhnoj sladosti."
        -^-^-`
      • Petr
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 30, 2010
          Sofya,

          Thank you.

          Petr
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 30, 2010
            Greetings to P|etr from Mordok!
            Thats the traditional way of putting a sock on in Russia. In this case, an old Russian from Minsk showed me how to do it at a citizenship class I used to teach after work, and confirmed by several other Russians in the same class as wha  heir babushkas did and the Soviet military still used until after WWII. There are several variations that I've tried but this is best....so far!
             Best Regards,
            'dok

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 1, 2010
              Thanks, Mordak