Slavic help!

  • David
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 20, 2010
      Good evening & Happy Father's Day!

      I have a question and thought I would ask the experts. I have been in the SCA for 6 months now and I have learned a lot. Been to lots of events, meetings, etc. My wife has been a member on & off for almost 20 years. She has decided to put in a bid as autocrat for an event at the end of this year/beginning of next. She has had a lot of friends volunteer their help with the event. I have convinced her to do a Slavic themed event and she likes the idea. Being as I have not had a chance to attend any Slavic events, I was hoping to get some ideas from the experts in the SIG.

      I have agreed to co-feastcrat with a Baroness friend of ours. I've already started looking for recipes (any suggestions?). What type of classes should we have? We have another friend that offered to teach sewing of German peasant dresses. What sort of fighting? Archery? Etc? It is a Friday afternoon to Sunday morning event. ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

      Thank you!!
    • Elaine Manyoki
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 20, 2010
        Dear David,

        I have autocratted a number of events, and one of the first things you need to do is get a bit more specific on the theme or location for your event. Just saying you want it to have a slavic theme is like saying you want to have dinner, and making no choices on what you want to eat. If you can work around a specific event in history, it helps. For instance, if you were, hypothetically, planning an event to center around the Battle of Eger in Hungary, that would mean you would need garb that would be common around 1552 or 3, and your food for feast would most likely be heavy on the paprika, and have pastry of a particular kind as dessert. Working on your own studies on a particular event or location can nail down feast menu choices, and also what types of fighting would be correct for that choice. If we go back to that Hungarian battle for a minute, the battle was won by women who threw rocks, boiling oil, and hot water over the battlements to drive
        out the Turks. Hungarians are incredible archers, especially on horseback, and they usually use a double recurve horseman's bow. You can't get much more specific than that, but I use this battle as an example. Pick a place, pick a timeperiod, or pick a battle to work your theme around, and everything else will more or less fall into place. At least, it usually did for me. You should probably speak with or communicate with several folks on this list, just to get other options, and take the one that feels right to you. If you don't like what you are trying to do, it affects everything. Send me a message off-list if you need me, but in the meantime, I will just say "Good luck on your first time!", and leave it at that! You'll have a ball....
        Katya

      • jpkowal@mts.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 21, 2010
          Greetings;

          My local Barony has held a number of Slavic Themed events, The legends from the Kievan-Rus period offer a rich back ground, We had Baba Yaga kidnap our Baroness and teams of (armored combatant, fencer, herald/scribe, archer) traveled around our map seeking artifacts to use to challenge Baba Yaga. It was fun and the food was delicious. The research and classes previous to the event in garb lead to a lot of new garb for the event.
          AVL