OT: Looking for information

  • Elaine Manyoki
    Message 1 of 2 , May 16 7:22 PM
      Good evening, good gentles...

      Sorry to post this off-topic request, but I need help in locating several things.

      First, does anyone who is in the age range 40 to 70 years old remember a story book for children, printed most likely in the late 50's to mid 60's that contained stories about the Russian mythological witch named Baba Yaga? I remember reading this book, with what I think was a series of stories written to be read one each day for a year. I remember the Baba Yaga stories, and remember the description of her cottage as being built on chicken legs that allowed the house to move through the Iron Forest at will. The same witch appeared again within the last ten years or so, in the off-shoot of the Anastasia movie, Bartok The Magnificent. Much of what I remember from my childhood seemed familiar in the Bartok movie, but I can't remember the title of the book, or who actually put the stories together. In the same book were stories about a talking parrot named Hustlebustle. The book would have come out around the same time as the Bobbsey Twins stories, and
      the Honeybunch books. I am trying to track down the Baba Yaga stories, as well as the Bobbsey twins and Honeybunch books.

      The other thing I am looking for is the title of a song used on CBS in either the NCIS or Ghost Whisperer series. Some of the lyrics say, "How long," some unintelligable words, and then the phrase" 'till we bring our sons and daughters home?" I suspect it was written within the last two years or so, and written to commemorate those serving in Iraq and Afghanistan. The tune is very haunting, and portions of the lyrics keep running through my memory, but I don't know who sings it, or which show featured it. I believe, though I am not certain, that it was in the Ghost Whisperer series, and would appreciate anyone's help in tracking the story books and the title of this song. It can get downright annoying when you know you have read a book, and can't remember the title. It's the price one pays, I suppose, for aging not so gracefully. Please contact me off-list if you remember or have a hunch as to where I should check next to find these items.

      I now return you to your previous programming, already in progress.
      Thank you in advance!
      Katya

    • Adam MacDonald
      Message 2 of 2 , May 22 10:29 PM