Re: [sig] Re: 15th Century Russian

  • Lisa Kies
    Message 1 of 6 , May 8, 2010
      Greetings from Sofya to Nawojka!

      On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 7:28 PM, Rosie <Rosie_0801@...> wrote:

      > Greetings, Sofya!
      >
      > Another question!
      >
      > > The overdress ... may be patterned or plain.
      >
      > Can you recommend anywhere to look for ideas on what sorts of patterns are
      > acceptable?

      In the 15th century, I believe Russia was importing silks from Italy, in
      addition to the traditional oriental silks. They may have also still be
      using the Byzantine-type brocades that were available to me in the 13th-14th
      century but I'm not sure about that.. So you could research Renaissance
      Italian fabric for that.

      As for patterns for home-printed (block-printed fabrics), I don't know of
      any surviving medieval Russian printed fabrics but you can get ideas for
      appropriate design motifs from manuscripts and embroidery.

      I'm having trouble finding suitable manuscripts on-line but as you're not in
      a hurry, you can look for this book:
      http://store.doverpublications.com/0486282589.html

      And here's some embroidery - most is older than the 15th century, but it may
      be inspirational:
      http://club-kaup.narod.ru/rec/archussr_drrus_bk/archussr_drrus_bk_table66.jpg
      http://club-kaup.narod.ru/rec/archussr_drrus_bk/archussr_drrus_bk_table67.jpg
      http://club-kaup.narod.ru/kaup_r_archussr_drrus_bk_4_table.html

      All the best,

      Sofya

    • Rosie
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 31, 2010
        > > Can you recommend anywhere to look for ideas on what sorts of patterns are
        > > acceptable?
        > >

        > In the 15th century, I believe Russia was importing silks from Italy, in
        > addition to the traditional oriental silks. They may have also still be
        > using the Byzantine-type brocades that were available to me in the 13th-14th
        > century but I'm not sure about that.. So you could research Renaissance
        > Italian fabric for that.

        Yay, yay, yay! The fabric I have seems suitable. Not perfect, but not outrageously bad :) Someone is working up to a garb-make-fest!

        Just wanted to share!

        :)
        Nawojka