Re: 15th Century Russian

  • Rosie
    Message 1 of 6 , May 8 5:28 PM
      Greetings, Sofya!

      Another question!

      > The overdress ... may be patterned or plain.

      Can you recommend anywhere to look for ideas on what sorts of patterns are acceptable?

      Thanks,
      Nawojka
    • Lisa Kies
      Message 2 of 6 , May 8 7:35 PM
        Greetings from Sofya to Nawojka!

        On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 7:28 PM, Rosie <Rosie_0801@...> wrote:

        > Greetings, Sofya!
        >
        > Another question!
        >
        > > The overdress ... may be patterned or plain.
        >
        > Can you recommend anywhere to look for ideas on what sorts of patterns are
        > acceptable?

        In the 15th century, I believe Russia was importing silks from Italy, in
        addition to the traditional oriental silks. They may have also still be
        using the Byzantine-type brocades that were available to me in the 13th-14th
        century but I'm not sure about that.. So you could research Renaissance
        Italian fabric for that.

        As for patterns for home-printed (block-printed fabrics), I don't know of
        any surviving medieval Russian printed fabrics but you can get ideas for
        appropriate design motifs from manuscripts and embroidery.

        I'm having trouble finding suitable manuscripts on-line but as you're not in
        a hurry, you can look for this book:
        http://store.doverpublications.com/0486282589.html

        And here's some embroidery - most is older than the 15th century, but it may
        be inspirational:
        http://club-kaup.narod.ru/rec/archussr_drrus_bk/archussr_drrus_bk_table66.jpg
        http://club-kaup.narod.ru/rec/archussr_drrus_bk/archussr_drrus_bk_table67.jpg
        http://club-kaup.narod.ru/kaup_r_archussr_drrus_bk_4_table.html

        All the best,

        Sofya

      • Rosie
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 31, 2010
          > > Can you recommend anywhere to look for ideas on what sorts of patterns are
          > > acceptable?
          > >

          > In the 15th century, I believe Russia was importing silks from Italy, in
          > addition to the traditional oriental silks. They may have also still be
          > using the Byzantine-type brocades that were available to me in the 13th-14th
          > century but I'm not sure about that.. So you could research Renaissance
          > Italian fabric for that.

          Yay, yay, yay! The fabric I have seems suitable. Not perfect, but not outrageously bad :) Someone is working up to a garb-make-fest!

          Just wanted to share!

          :)
          Nawojka