Re: 15th Century Russian

  • Rosie
    Message 1 of 6 , May 8, 2010
      > Greetings from Sofya to Nawojka!

      >[and lots of handy info]

      Thanks so much! I shall procrastinate, uh, I mean meditate on all that and see what might come out of it. I have a bundle of fabric just about perfect for my daughter, but I think that will be for next year. I'm going to hit my stash to see if there's anything suitable for myself just as soon as my lord takes the kiddies out to do the shopping. And he thinks I'm going to be a good little wifey and wash the dishes, mwahahahhaha!

      Nawojka
    • Rosie
      Message 2 of 6 , May 8, 2010
        Greetings, Sofya!

        Another question!

        > The overdress ... may be patterned or plain.

        Can you recommend anywhere to look for ideas on what sorts of patterns are acceptable?

        Thanks,
        Nawojka
      • Lisa Kies
        Message 3 of 6 , May 8, 2010

          On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 7:28 PM, Rosie <Rosie_0801@...> wrote:

          > Greetings, Sofya!
          >
          > Another question!
          >
          > > The overdress ... may be patterned or plain.
          >
          > Can you recommend anywhere to look for ideas on what sorts of patterns are
          > acceptable?

          In the 15th century, I believe Russia was importing silks from Italy, in
          addition to the traditional oriental silks. They may have also still be
          using the Byzantine-type brocades that were available to me in the 13th-14th
          century but I'm not sure about that.. So you could research Renaissance
          Italian fabric for that.

          As for patterns for home-printed (block-printed fabrics), I don't know of
          any surviving medieval Russian printed fabrics but you can get ideas for
          appropriate design motifs from manuscripts and embroidery.

          I'm having trouble finding suitable manuscripts on-line but as you're not in
          a hurry, you can look for this book:
          http://store.doverpublications.com/0486282589.html

          And here's some embroidery - most is older than the 15th century, but it may
          be inspirational:
          http://club-kaup.narod.ru/rec/archussr_drrus_bk/archussr_drrus_bk_table66.jpg
          http://club-kaup.narod.ru/rec/archussr_drrus_bk/archussr_drrus_bk_table67.jpg
          http://club-kaup.narod.ru/kaup_r_archussr_drrus_bk_4_table.html

          All the best,

          Sofya

        • Rosie
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 31, 2010
            > > Can you recommend anywhere to look for ideas on what sorts of patterns are
            > > acceptable?
            > >

            > In the 15th century, I believe Russia was importing silks from Italy, in
            > addition to the traditional oriental silks. They may have also still be
            > using the Byzantine-type brocades that were available to me in the 13th-14th
            > century but I'm not sure about that.. So you could research Renaissance
            > Italian fabric for that.

            Yay, yay, yay! The fabric I have seems suitable. Not perfect, but not outrageously bad :) Someone is working up to a garb-make-fest!

            Just wanted to share!

            :)
            Nawojka