Re: [sig] 15th Century Russian

  • Lisa Kies
    Message 1 of 6 , May 8, 2010
      Greetings from Sofya to Nawojka!

      On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 1:50 AM, Rosie <Rosie_0801@...> wrote:

      > Hi Sig, Sofya in particular!
      >
      > I've been looking at this:
      > http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/PartizanWoman.html and have a
      > few questions. I'm trying to assess my stash for Midwinter outfit
      > possibilities for myself and my three year old daughter.
      >
      > What sort of fabric could the overdress be made of? The example is made
      > from an off white satin. Must it be white? Must it be satin? Can it have
      > patterns or should it be plain? I suppose plain, who is going to go to the
      > trouble of embroidering patterned fabric?

      The overdress does not need to be white, nor does it need to be satin. The
      fabric may be patterned or plain. And even patterned fabric can be
      embroidered - pearls go with everything! :-)

      What I know about this type of garment can be read here:
      http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/KWC1.html

      > The letnik should be a heavy linen? Any colour is fine? What about the
      > voshv? What sort of fabric could they be?

      I would say that the letnik should be a medium-to-heavy weight linen as it
      is a summer garment. Any color is fine. The voshvy trim can be of
      complementary or contrasting color linen, or something more grand such as
      silk, satin, brocade, velvet, etc.

      My various sources have slightly different information about this garment:
      http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/KWC3.html

      Voshvy and other adornments are addressed here:
      http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/KRCdecor.html
      <http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/KWC3.html>

      > The odnoryadka? I can't really see what that is.

      The odnoryadka is the long black coat with trailing floor-length sleeves.
      The terminology of this type of garment gets VERY complicated esp. by the
      Muscovite period and I have recorded what I know if it here:
      http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/KWC4.html

      I hope this helps.

      At your service,

      Sofya

      ___
      http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
      {o,o}
      (__(|
      "Nasytivshimsya knizhnoj sladosti."
      -^-^-`
    • Rosie
      Message 2 of 6 , May 8, 2010
        > Greetings from Sofya to Nawojka!

        >[and lots of handy info]

        Thanks so much! I shall procrastinate, uh, I mean meditate on all that and see what might come out of it. I have a bundle of fabric just about perfect for my daughter, but I think that will be for next year. I'm going to hit my stash to see if there's anything suitable for myself just as soon as my lord takes the kiddies out to do the shopping. And he thinks I'm going to be a good little wifey and wash the dishes, mwahahahhaha!

        Nawojka
      • Rosie
        Message 3 of 6 , May 8, 2010
          Greetings, Sofya!

          Another question!

          > The overdress ... may be patterned or plain.

          Can you recommend anywhere to look for ideas on what sorts of patterns are acceptable?

          Thanks,
          Nawojka
        • Lisa Kies
          Message 4 of 6 , May 8, 2010

            On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 7:28 PM, Rosie <Rosie_0801@...> wrote:

            > Greetings, Sofya!
            >
            > Another question!
            >
            > > The overdress ... may be patterned or plain.
            >
            > Can you recommend anywhere to look for ideas on what sorts of patterns are
            > acceptable?

            In the 15th century, I believe Russia was importing silks from Italy, in
            addition to the traditional oriental silks. They may have also still be
            using the Byzantine-type brocades that were available to me in the 13th-14th
            century but I'm not sure about that.. So you could research Renaissance
            Italian fabric for that.

            As for patterns for home-printed (block-printed fabrics), I don't know of
            any surviving medieval Russian printed fabrics but you can get ideas for
            appropriate design motifs from manuscripts and embroidery.

            I'm having trouble finding suitable manuscripts on-line but as you're not in
            a hurry, you can look for this book:
            http://store.doverpublications.com/0486282589.html

            And here's some embroidery - most is older than the 15th century, but it may
            be inspirational:
            http://club-kaup.narod.ru/rec/archussr_drrus_bk/archussr_drrus_bk_table66.jpg
            http://club-kaup.narod.ru/rec/archussr_drrus_bk/archussr_drrus_bk_table67.jpg
            http://club-kaup.narod.ru/kaup_r_archussr_drrus_bk_4_table.html

            All the best,

            Sofya

          • Rosie
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 31, 2010
              > > Can you recommend anywhere to look for ideas on what sorts of patterns are
              > > acceptable?
              > >

              > In the 15th century, I believe Russia was importing silks from Italy, in
              > addition to the traditional oriental silks. They may have also still be
              > using the Byzantine-type brocades that were available to me in the 13th-14th
              > century but I'm not sure about that.. So you could research Renaissance
              > Italian fabric for that.

              Yay, yay, yay! The fabric I have seems suitable. Not perfect, but not outrageously bad :) Someone is working up to a garb-make-fest!

              Just wanted to share!

              :)
              Nawojka