Re: [sig] Re: A Homespun Life: Textiles of Old Russia

  • Lisa Kies
    Message 1 of 8 , May 6, 2010
      I'm happy that you're happy in 1145. Thanks for explaining yourself,
      because it's very confusing when you use your personal definition of "late
      period" in a context where your audience has a very different definition.

      I prefer the phrase "after my time/period" in such situations.

      :-)

      Back on topic, I have had difficulty finding proof of knitting _in Russia_
      during SCA period, which is why I claim that I learned to knit from my 14th
      century German in-laws.

      Sofya

      On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 2:35 PM, Jennifer Nelson Kemp
      <lady.ianuk@...>wrote:

      > The first actual socks for true knitting were Egyptian. But I personally
      > consider anything past 1250 "late period". So, yes, I understand its
      > middle
      > of the road so to speak but in mine brain, once the horde's hit..things
      > changed.
      >
      > Ianuk
      > Who is happy in 1145
      >
      > On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 11:35 AM, Sfandra <seonaid13@...> wrote:
      >

      > > Asfridr,
      > >
      > > Are the pieces you're referencing actually 'knitting' as we know it, or
      > > naalbinding?
      > >
      > > --Sfandra
      > > --who right now can only knit scarves, but would like to learn more....
      > >

      > > --- On Wed, 5/5/10, Quokkaqueen <quokkaqueen@...<quokkaqueen%
      > 40hotmail.com>>
      > > wrote:
      > >
      > > > From: Quokkaqueen <quokkaqueen@... <quokkaqueen%40hotmail.com