Re: [sig] Re: A Homespun Life: Textiles of Old Russia

    Message 1 of 8 , May 6, 2010
      Asfridr,

      Are the pieces you're referencing actually 'knitting' as we know it, or naalbinding?

      --Sfandra
      --who right now can only knit scarves, but would like to learn more....

      ******************
      Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
      KOE, OM, Haus VDK, East Kingdom
      http://sfandra.webs.com
      ******************
      Never 'pearl' your butt.
      "Ja mogu sdelat' to."
      ******************

      Message 2 of 8 , May 6, 2010
        The first actual socks for true knitting were Egyptian. But I personally
        consider anything past 1250 "late period". So, yes, I understand its middle
        of the road so to speak but in mine brain, once the horde's hit..things
        changed.

        Ianuk
        Who is happy in 1145

        On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 11:35 AM, Sfandra <seonaid13@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > > 60-9
        > > There is a line drawing at the bottom of this page:
        > http://latviasfriend.blogspot.com/2007/06/can-you-buy-yarn-in-riga.html
        > >
        > > The 13th century glove in the title, was naalbinded:
        > > http://www.history-museum.lv/english/media/mosaic/atdari/gloves.jpg
        > >
        > > No, there doesn't seem to have been knitting happening
        > > before the 11th century or so, but some of the earliest
        > > finds of knitting in Europe come from Eastern Europe, and it
        > > would be silly to call the 13th and 14th centuries 'late
        > > period' when they are probably closer to the middle. :)
        > >
        > > ~Asfridhr
        > >
        > > --- In sig@yahoogroups.com <sig%40yahoogroups.com>,
        > > Jennifer Nelson Kemp <lady.ianuk@...> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I think it depends on the techniques.
        > > >
        > > > Knitting is late period for SCA time frame but normal
        > > for 18th-20th
        > > > Centuries. Crochet comes in sometime after our

      • Lisa Kies
        Message 3 of 8 , May 6, 2010
          I'm happy that you're happy in 1145. Thanks for explaining yourself,
          because it's very confusing when you use your personal definition of "late
          period" in a context where your audience has a very different definition.

          I prefer the phrase "after my time/period" in such situations.

          :-)

          Back on topic, I have had difficulty finding proof of knitting _in Russia_
          during SCA period, which is why I claim that I learned to knit from my 14th
          century German in-laws.

          Sofya

          On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 2:35 PM, Jennifer Nelson Kemp
          <lady.ianuk@...>wrote:

          > The first actual socks for true knitting were Egyptian. But I personally
          > consider anything past 1250 "late period". So, yes, I understand its
          > middle
          > of the road so to speak but in mine brain, once the horde's hit..things
          > changed.
          >
          > Ianuk
          > Who is happy in 1145
          >
          > On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 11:35 AM, Sfandra <seonaid13@...> wrote:
          >

          > > Asfridr,
          > >
          > > Are the pieces you're referencing actually 'knitting' as we know it, or
          > > naalbinding?
          > >
          > > --Sfandra
          > > --who right now can only knit scarves, but would like to learn more....
          > >

          > > --- On Wed, 5/5/10, Quokkaqueen <quokkaqueen@...<quokkaqueen%
          > 40hotmail.com>>
          > > wrote:
          > >
          > > > From: Quokkaqueen <quokkaqueen@... <quokkaqueen%40hotmail.com