A Homespun Life: Textiles of Old Russia

  • ebradsimmons
    Message 1 of 8 , May 5, 2010
      Now showing at the Museum of Russian Art in Minneapolis:

      http://www.tmora.org/current.html

      A Homespun Life: Textiles of Old Russia
      Lower gallery
      This original exhibition presents over one hundred artifacts revealing the rich peasant culture of northern and central Russia in the 19th and early 20th centuries. Featured are towels, bed skirts, area rugs, and pillow covers, along with spinning tools, garments, and costumes produced by peasant spinners, weavers and dressmakers. Designs and patterns were specific to regional centers of production, such as the Vologda, Riazan and Nizhnii Novgorod regions represented in this exhibition.

      In 19th century Russia, traditional textiles were made at home. From planting the flax from which thread was spun to sewing a dress, women produced most everything needed by a peasant household. Long Russian autumns and winters were spent spinning, knitting, weaving, sewing, and embroidering. An elaborate display demonstrates the use of textiles in a peasant household at the turn of the last century.

      Soviet modernization largely destroyed traditional Russian culture in the 20th century, but the remarkable objects on display in A Homespun Life: Textiles of Old Russia bring to life a peasant lifestyle long gone.

      All items on loan from the collection of Ms. Susan Johnson.
    • Patoodle@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , May 5, 2010
        Interesting! But the 19th century doesn't seem that "old" after being in the SCA for a while.... *grin*

        Still, the exhibit photos look fabulous, and I'll bet the 19th-century stuff has its roots in even older stuff....

        Thanks,
        Patricia

        Now showing at the Museum of Russian Art in Minneapolis:
        http://www.tmora.org/current.html
        A Homespun Life: Textiles of Old Russia
        ower gallery
[...]

      • christopher chastain
        Message 3 of 8 , May 5, 2010
          Wouldnt the skills and techniques be the same? Fashion patterns have changed but I would asume the methods should still be the same.

          Yours in Humble Service,
          Pomestnik Dmitrii Ivanov
          Per saltire sable and azure, a two headed eagle displayed and in chief a mullet of eight points argent

          "The only thing neccesary for evil to win is for good men to do nothing."
          Edmund Burke

          To: sig@yahoogroups.com

[...]

        • Jennifer Nelson Kemp
          Message 4 of 8 , May 5, 2010
            I think it depends on the techniques.

            Knitting is late period for SCA time frame but normal for 18th-20th
            Centuries. Crochet comes in sometime after our time (though there is
            debate).

            Embroidery (overall, very generally, not Russian specific) probably hasn't
            changed much in techniques except maybe the use of tambour in later period
            and beyond. The backing cloth and what materials are used probably have
            adapted to what was available or imported. Though with the Soviets, I'm not
            sure how much trade in finer materials occurred and that would be
            interesting to see. Motifs have morphed or have been adapted from other
            cultures. Again, these are general statements..but it would be an exhibit
            to look at for looking at the transitions of crafts through the passage of
            time.

            Ianuk

            On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 9:20 AM, christopher chastain <ckchastain@...

          • Quokkaqueen
            Message 5 of 8 , May 5, 2010
              I'm not so sure knitting would be 'late' SCA period per se.

              It starts to show up from the 11-13th centuries or thereabouts in Egypt, eg. http://home.earthlink.net/~urtatim/EgyptKnit1.html and
              The piece of knitting that is usually described as being the 'first' in Europe is the mid 13th century knitting from Las Hueglas monastary in Spain, but as best as I can tell the next-oldest is a 13-14th c. mitten from Estonia.
              http://hem.bredband.net/annlyf/13thC-knit-fragment.pdf

              (There was a scan of an article that had the Estonian mitten, as well as knitting from Riga, Latvia, but it doesn't seem to be online any more. It was:
              Jüri Peets. 1987. "Totenhandschuhe im Bestattungsbrauchtum der Esten und anderen Ostseefinnen" _Fennoscandia archaeologica_ IV:105-116.)

              The Riga mittens are 14-15th century and knitted. The main article about them is, unsurprisingly, in Latvian:
              Caune A., Zarina A., 1980. "Rigas 13.-15. gs. vilnas cimdi." _Latvijas PSR zinatnu akademijas vestis_ 39(1), 60-9
              There is a line drawing at the bottom of this page: http://latviasfriend.blogspot.com/2007/06/can-you-buy-yarn-in-riga.html
              The 13th century glove in the title, was naalbinded:
              http://www.history-museum.lv/english/media/mosaic/atdari/gloves.jpg

              No, there doesn't seem to have been knitting happening before the 11th century or so, but some of the earliest finds of knitting in Europe come from Eastern Europe, and it would be silly to call the 13th and 14th centuries 'late period' when they are probably closer to the middle. :)

              ~Asfridhr

              Message 6 of 8 , May 6, 2010
                Asfridr,

                Are the pieces you're referencing actually 'knitting' as we know it, or naalbinding?

                --Sfandra
                --who right now can only knit scarves, but would like to learn more....

                ******************
                Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
                KOE, OM, Haus VDK, East Kingdom
                http://sfandra.webs.com
                ******************
                Never 'pearl' your butt.
                "Ja mogu sdelat' to."
                ******************

                > It starts to show up from the 11-13th centuries or
                > thereabouts in Egypt, eg. http://home.earthlink.net/~urtatim/EgyptKnit1.html and
                >
                > The piece of knitting that is usually described as being
                > the 'first' in Europe is the mid 13th century knitting from
                > Las Hueglas monastary in Spain, but as best as I can tell
                > the next-oldest is a 13-14th c. mitten from Estonia.
                > http://hem.bredband.net/annlyf/13thC-knit-fragment.pdf
                >
                > (There was a scan of an article that had the Estonian
                > mitten, as well as knitting from Riga, Latvia, but it
                > doesn't seem to be online any more. It was:
                > Jüri Peets. 1987. "Totenhandschuhe im Bestattungsbrauchtum
                > der Esten und anderen Ostseefinnen" _Fennoscandia
                > archaeologica_ IV:105-116.)
                >
                > The Riga mittens are 14-15th century and knitted. The main
                > article about them is, unsurprisingly, in Latvian:
                > Caune A., Zarina A., 1980. "Rigas 13.-15. gs. vilnas
                > cimdi." _Latvijas PSR zinatnu akademijas vestis_ 39(1),
                > 60-9
                > There is a line drawing at the bottom of this page: http://latviasfriend.blogspot.com/2007/06/can-you-buy-yarn-in-riga.html
                >
                > The 13th century glove in the title, was naalbinded:
                > http://www.history-museum.lv/english/media/mosaic/atdari/gloves.jpg
                >
                > No, there doesn't seem to have been knitting happening
                > before the 11th century or so, but some of the earliest
                > finds of knitting in Europe come from Eastern Europe, and it
                > would be silly to call the 13th and 14th centuries 'late
                > period' when they are probably closer to the middle. :)
                >
                > ~Asfridhr
                >
                > --- In sig@yahoogroups.com,
                > Jennifer Nelson Kemp <lady.ianuk@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > I think it depends on the techniques.
                > >
                > > Knitting is late period for SCA time frame but normal
                > for 18th-20th
                > > Centuries.  Crochet comes in sometime after our
                > time (though there is
                > > debate).

                >     sig-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              • Jennifer Nelson Kemp
                Message 7 of 8 , May 6, 2010
                  The first actual socks for true knitting were Egyptian. But I personally
                  consider anything past 1250 "late period". So, yes, I understand its middle
                  of the road so to speak but in mine brain, once the horde's hit..things
                  changed.

                  Ianuk
                  Who is happy in 1145

                  On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 11:35 AM, Sfandra <seonaid13@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > > 60-9
                  > > There is a line drawing at the bottom of this page:
                  > http://latviasfriend.blogspot.com/2007/06/can-you-buy-yarn-in-riga.html
                  > >
                  > > The 13th century glove in the title, was naalbinded:
                  > > http://www.history-museum.lv/english/media/mosaic/atdari/gloves.jpg
                  > >
                  > > No, there doesn't seem to have been knitting happening
                  > > before the 11th century or so, but some of the earliest
                  > > finds of knitting in Europe come from Eastern Europe, and it
                  > > would be silly to call the 13th and 14th centuries 'late
                  > > period' when they are probably closer to the middle. :)
                  > >
                  > > ~Asfridhr
                  > >
                  > > --- In sig@yahoogroups.com <sig%40yahoogroups.com>,
                  > > Jennifer Nelson Kemp <lady.ianuk@...> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > I think it depends on the techniques.
                  > > >
                  > > > Knitting is late period for SCA time frame but normal
                  > > for 18th-20th
                  > > > Centuries. Crochet comes in sometime after our

                • Lisa Kies
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 6, 2010
                    I'm happy that you're happy in 1145. Thanks for explaining yourself,
                    because it's very confusing when you use your personal definition of "late
                    period" in a context where your audience has a very different definition.

                    I prefer the phrase "after my time/period" in such situations.

                    :-)

                    Back on topic, I have had difficulty finding proof of knitting _in Russia_
                    during SCA period, which is why I claim that I learned to knit from my 14th
                    century German in-laws.

                    Sofya

                    On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 2:35 PM, Jennifer Nelson Kemp
                    <lady.ianuk@...>wrote:

                    > The first actual socks for true knitting were Egyptian. But I personally
                    > consider anything past 1250 "late period". So, yes, I understand its
                    > middle
                    > of the road so to speak but in mine brain, once the horde's hit..things
                    > changed.
                    >
                    > Ianuk
                    > Who is happy in 1145
                    >
                    > On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 11:35 AM, Sfandra <seonaid13@...> wrote:
                    >

                    > > Asfridr,
                    > >
                    > > Are the pieces you're referencing actually 'knitting' as we know it, or
                    > > naalbinding?
                    > >
                    > > --Sfandra
                    > > --who right now can only knit scarves, but would like to learn more....
                    > >

                    > > --- On Wed, 5/5/10, Quokkaqueen <quokkaqueen@...<quokkaqueen%
                    > 40hotmail.com>>
                    > > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > > From: Quokkaqueen <quokkaqueen@... <quokkaqueen%40hotmail.com