Re: block printing

  • Diane S. Sawyer
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 5, 2000
      --- Jenn/Yana <jdmiller2@...> wrote:
      > >I use Delta Ceramcoat acrylic paint. It comes in a
      > >bazillion colors (I counted!), including gold and
      > >silver, and it cleans up quickly.
      >
      > How is it for using on fabric? Does it stay bright
      > after washing and drying?

      Seems to. In fact, you set the paint by tossing it in
      a dryer after you're done stamping it and it's
      air-dried. The gold and silver give a really cool
      effect.

      > >I would recommend
      > >using a foam roller (look in the stenciling section
      > of
      > >the craft store) instead of dipping the stamp in
      > the
      > >paint; dipping makes it goopy. If you can't find a
      > >roller, use a foam brush to load the stamp.
      >
      > We smeared the paint on glass and then dipped the
      > stamp in it, but you are
      > right, a roller would work much better. There is
      > some special name for the
      > roller, but I can't remember what it is right now.

      A brayer?

      > >There are some foam stamps in the craft stores that
      > >might work for your purposes, BTW, both open cell
      > and
      > >closed cell foam. The open cell foam takes a
      > boatload
      > >of paint to load it, just so you know.
      >
      > Of course, you could also get some foam and cut it
      > into shapes and glue it
      > to your wood. It would give a different effect than
      > the rubber. I'm sure
      > that your local fighters would have some scraps of
      > foam lying around that
      > they might give to you.

      That, or you can buy thin pieces of foam in the craft
      department of Wal-Mart. I haven't gotten around to
      trying it. (New Year's Resolution #2: Clean out the
      sewing room so things can be sewn in there!)
      (Resolution #1 was "Eat chocolate.")

      > >Post pics when you get it done? Pretty please?
      >
      > Hahahahahaha! You are soooo funny! I, actually
      > finish anything? What a
      > riot...
      >
      > --Yana ;)

      Oh, good. I'm not the only one.

      Tasha
      http://messenger.yahoo.com
    • Maggie Allen
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 6, 2000
        Someone also suggested using old mouse pads as rubber stamp material (we
        weren't talking about fabric stamping but it might work).

        >> >Post pics when you get it done? Pretty please?
        >>
        >> Hahahahahaha! You are soooo funny! I, actually
        >> finish anything? What a
        >> riot...
        >>
        >> --Yana ;)

        How about posting pictures when you get started? :-)

        >Oh, good. I'm not the only one.
        >
        >Tasha

        Not even close to the only one - do you know any SCAdians who don't have a
        half dozen unfinished projects? (Okay - one or two of them might have a
        different half dozen projects than they started with but I think they are
        the minority).

        Maggie/Margarita Kofinopoia
        Knowledge is a gift that increases when it's shared.
        http://whimsical.homepage.com
      • Diane S. Sawyer
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 6, 2000
          --- Maggie Allen <maggiea@...> wrote:
          > Someone also suggested using old mouse pads as
          > rubber stamp material (we
          > weren't talking about fabric stamping but it might
          > work).

          It might, at that, but you might get a strange texture
          from the texture of the rubber on one side and the
          fabric on the other. You could smooth this with a
          brush while the paint was still wet, I suppose, if it
          looked goofy.

          > >> Hahahahahaha! You are soooo funny! I, actually
          > >> finish anything? What a
          > >> riot...
          > >>
          > >> --Yana ;)
          >
          > How about posting pictures when you get started? :-)
          >

          > >Oh, good. I'm not the only one.
          > >
          > >Tasha
          >
          > Not even close to the only one - do you know any
          > SCAdians who don't have a
          > half dozen unfinished projects? (Okay - one or two
          > of them might have a
          > different half dozen projects than they started with
          > but I think they are
          > the minority).
          >
          > Maggie/Margarita Kofinopoia
          > Knowledge is a gift that increases when it's shared.
          > http://whimsical.homepage.com

          Oh, golly -- I peeked into the needlework newsgroup
          and they all seem to have 6 (or more) projects going
          at once! I suppose it keeps you from getting bored,
          but I'm afraid I'd never get anything done.

          Tasha
          http://im.yahoo.com