Re: Name Documentation

  • Diane S. Sawyer
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 5, 2000
      --- Christine Jacobs <chrstnj@...> wrote:

      > --- "Diane S. Sawyer" <tasha_medved@...>
      > wrote:
      >
      > I believe so, since it's linked off Laurel's page
      > and
      > sold by Free Trumpet Press West.  I used it, as
      > did a gentleman with a Russian persona in Carolingia
      > (EK).
      >
      > Tasha
      >

      > Thanks, Tasha, that's what I thought. Actually, I
      > could swear that I read something on-line to that
      > effect, but I can't for the life of me remember
      > where.
      >
      > Kseniia (who will hopefully be submitting her name
      > soon)

      me too... somewhere in the RfS or the Admin Handbook,
      I think; just didn't have time to look it up this
      morning. Hang on, I'll check and see if a quick scan
      will turn anything up...
      <cue Jeopardy music>
      <fade music up and out>
      Dang; I can't find it. I'll ask on the SCA Herald's
      list.

      Tasha
      http://messenger.yahoo.com
    • Zachary Weenig
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 5, 2000
        I can say with perfect accuracy(at least in An Tir and at Laurel) that you
        can use Paul's list as a source. I just got my name and device registered,
        and the only source I used was the list. You may want to ask your Kingdom
        herald to make sure. It only took me a couple e-mails to get the answer.

        Alexander(Whoo Hoo I am a real Person)
      • Robert J Welenc
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 5, 2000
          At 07:53 AM 1/5/00 -0800, you wrote:

          >> Thanks, Tasha, that's what I thought. Actually, I
          >> could swear that I read something on-line to that
          >> effect, but I can't for the life of me remember
          >> where.
          >>
          >> Kseniia (who will hopefully be submitting her name
          >> soon)
          >>

          >me too... somewhere in the RfS or the Admin Handbook,
          >I think; just didn't have time to look it up this
          >morning. Hang on, I'll check and see if a quick scan
          >will turn anything up...
          ><cue Jeopardy music>
          ><fade music up and out>
          >Dang; I can't find it. I'll ask on the SCA Herald's
          >list.

          That was a Jaelle cover letter, referencing website documentation in
          general. Print off the relevant page(s) making sure that the URL is
          part of the page. (Or photocopy the page of the book.)

          Russian names are registered all the time with no more documentation
          than Paul's book/website.

          Alanna
          Golden Dolphin Herald
          Laurel Minion
        • Diane S. Sawyer
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 5, 2000
            --- Robert J Welenc <rjwelenc@...> wrote:
            {snip}

            > That was a Jaelle cover letter, referencing website
            > documentation in
            > general. Print off the relevant page(s) making sure
            > that the URL is
            > part of the page. (Or photocopy the page of the
            > book.)

            I think you have to have the date printed on there,
            too -- my puter just does it automagically.

            > Russian names are registered all the time with no
            > more documentation
            > than Paul's book/website.
            >
            > Alanna
            > Golden Dolphin Herald
            > Laurel Minion

            I was SO psyched to find that resource, the night
            after my first fight practice!

            Tasha
            http://messenger.yahoo.com
          • Christine Jacobs
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 7, 2000
              Well, I thought I'd check Paul's dictionary just to
              see what kind of feminine names starting with
              "T[vowel]R" there actually were, but I couldn't find a
              one! Here's a list of feminine names starting with
              "T" though.
              (I'm partial to Taidala/Taidula and T'rpena myself...)
              Please forgive the formatting - it doesn't copy/paste
              well...

              -- Kseniia

              Taidala (f) -- Taidala, tsaritsa. 1378. [Nik XI 33]
              Taidula (f) -- Taidula. 1364. [Zap 35]
              vars: Tandula. 1364. [Zap 129]
              Taina (f) -- Taina. 1609. [Mor 190]
              Taisiia (f) -- Taisiia, saint. 4th Century. [Buk 571]
              Tata (f) -- Tata. 14th Century. [Lev 5]
              Tatsa (f) -- Tatsa, nicknamed Bezruchka. Recorded in
              1623. [Tup 460]
              Tat'iana (f) -- "to designate."
              Tat'iana, martyr. 1356. [Lev 3]
              Dims: Tanka. 1623-4. [RIB II 625]
              Tan'ia. 14th-15th Centuries. [Art III

              66; #129]
              Tat'ianitsa (widow). 1630. [RIB XIV
              697]
              Tat'ianka (Tat'ianka Ostashkova zhena).

              1634-42. [RIB II 747]
              Vars: Tatiana (martyr). Died in 225. [Buk
              31]
              Tatiiana (Tatiiana Iakovleva). Mid 15th

              Century. [Gra 225]
              Mets: Tat'ianin (Argun Tat'ianin,
              landowner).
              c1539. [Tup 32]
              Tavlunbeka (f) -- var of Tuvlunbeka.
              Techa (f) -- var of Tekha.
              Teha (f) -- var of Tekha.
              Tekha (f) -- Tekha. 1088. [Mor 195]
              Vars: Techa. 1088. [Mor 195]
              Teha. 1088. [Mor 195]
              Tekusa (f) -- "birthing."
              Tekusa, martyr. 3rd Century. [Buk
              261-2]
              Teshka (f) -- Teshka. 850. [Mor 196]
              Teta (f) -- "aunt."
              Teta. 6th Century. [Mor 192]
              Dims: Tetka, daughter of Krok. 670. [Khr
              250]
              Totka (Gridia Totka, landowner). 1500.
              [Tup 391]
              Tevkel (f) -- Tevkel Magmeteva doch', tsaritsa. 1554.
              [Nik XIII 243]
              Vars: Tevkel' (Tevkel' Magmeteva doch',
              tsaritsa). 1554.
              [Nik XIII 243]
              Tferian'ka (f) -- Tferian'ka, second wife of
              Lithuanian
              Great Prince Ol'gerd Gediminovich.
              1377. [Avr 103]
              Tiaga (f) -- Andrei Tiaga, Vinnitsa craftsman. 1552.
              [Tup 407]
              Titka (f) -- Titka Ivanova zhena. 1612. [RIB II 284]
              Tomila (f) -- "torment."
              Tomila Kshtovtovna, wife of Polotsk
              boiar. 1545.
              [Tup 463]
              Tomislava (f) -- Tomislava, Croatian queen. 914. [Mor
              193]
              Troika (f) -- "trio."
              Vars: Troyka. 1281. [Mor 194]
              Trufena (f) -- Trufena, martyr. 1356. [Lev 26]
              Tul'na (f) --
              Vars: Tulna. 1088. [Mor 195]
              Tutana (f) -- Tutana. 1102. [Mor 195]
              Tuvlunbeka (f) -- Tuvlunbeka, tsaritsa. 1386. [Nik XI
              87]
              Vars: Tavlunbeka (tsaritsa). 1386. [Nik XI
              87]
              Tvoislava (f) -- "your glory."
              Vars: Tvoyzlava. 1302. [Mor 191]
              T'rpena (f) -- T'rpena. 13-14th Centuries. [Lev 37]

              =====
              Kseniia Smol'nyanina mka: Christine Jacobs
              of Mountain Freehold chrstnj@...
              http://im.yahoo.com
            • vespirus@xxxxxxxx.xxxxxxxx.xxxx
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 7, 2000
                On Wed, 5 Jan 2000 MHoll@... wrote:

                > Paul's dictionary is indeed acceptable documentation, since he lists all the
                > primary sources he used for each entry. However, you need to provide
                > photocopies (or a URL and a printout, IIRC) with your submission.

                Actually, I believe Paul's dictionary is one of the source for which
                photocopies are not required by Laurel, on the grounds that Laurel already
                has a copy. However, you should be very careful to note which edition you
                use, to include relevant dates, and to cite the headword entry for each
                name element you wish to document.

                --Walraven
              • Robert J Welenc
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 7, 2000
                  At 04:47 PM 1/7/00 -0800, you wrote:

                  >On Wed, 5 Jan 2000 MHoll@... wrote:
                  >
                  >> Paul's dictionary is indeed acceptable documentation, since he
                  lists all the
                  >> primary sources he used for each entry. However, you need to
                  provide
                  >> photocopies (or a URL and a printout, IIRC) with your submission.
                  >
                  >Actually, I believe Paul's dictionary is one of the source for which
                  >photocopies are not required by Laurel, on the grounds that Laurel
                  already
                  >has a copy.

                  It's not on the no-photocopy list. It may be that the former Laurel
                  had a personal copy but the Laurel office does not. It is, however,
                  linked directly to the http://www.sca.org/heraldry/ page, and is
                  therefore "official". A copy of the relevant page wouldn't be amiss,
                  though. If it's not necessary, the filing grunts can discard it.

                  Alanna
                  ***********
                  Saying of the day:
                  If you don't have one, BUY A FIRE EXTINGUISHER NOW!!!
                • Jenn/Yana
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 7, 2000
                    >It's not on the no-photocopy list. It may be that the former Laurel
                    >had a personal copy but the Laurel office does not. It is, however,
                    >linked directly to the http://www.sca.org/heraldry/ page, and is
                    >therefore "official". A copy of the relevant page wouldn't be amiss,
                    >though. If it's not necessary, the filing grunts can discard it.

                    Careful, Paul *is* one of those "filing grunts"! :)
                    Yes, it is better to include a photocopy than to not include one until his
                    book is put back on the "do not copy" list.

                    --Yana
                  • MHoll@xxx.xxx
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 7, 2000
                      In a message dated 1/7/2000 6:48:00 PM Central Standard Time,
                      vespirus@... writes:

                      > Actually, I believe Paul's dictionary is one of the source for which
                      > photocopies are not required by Laurel, on the grounds that Laurel already
                      > has a copy.

                      It's been a while since I've looked at a submission. Nice to know the
                      dictionary is finally on the no-copy list.

                      Predslava
                    • MHoll@xxx.xxx
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 7, 2000
                        In a message dated 1/7/2000 9:22:33 PM Central Standard Time,
                        rjwelenc@... writes:

                        > It's not on the no-photocopy list.

                        Aha! But it is an accepted source.

                        (Should read *all* my mail before responding).

                        Predslava