A description of the wedding of the King of Poland -

  • wheezul@canby.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 13, 2010
      I ran across this in my peregrinations and thought it might be of interest:

      http://daten.digitale-sammlungen.de/~db/bsb00006427/images/

      Kurtze beschreibung deß einzugs der Jungen Künigin zu Cracaw, vnnd der
      Hochzeit deß Jungen Künigs auß Polen, mit Römischer Kü. May. Ferdinandi
      Tochter, mit mancherley gepreng vnd Ceremonien geschehen den IIII. Maij,
      vnd etlich tag hernach. Anno MD.XLIII., [S.l.], [1543] [VD16 K 2624]

      [A short description of the procession of the young queen to Krakow, and
      the wedding of the young king of Poland with the Holy Roman Emperor
      Majesty Ferdinand's daughter, with numerous displays and ceremonies
      celebrated the 4th of May and some days thereafter.] 1543

      This appears to be Sigismund/Zygmunt II Augustus (1520-1572); King of
      Poland in 1529 marrying Elizabeth, daughter of Emperor Ferdinand of
      Habsburg in 1543. And part of it was in the rain :-)

      There are some clothing details, and a record of the participants in the
      procession, as well as a description of the coronation of Elizabeth. All
      told there were 2,723 horses in the parade.

      Katherine B