Re: Name Documentation

  • Christine Jacobs
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 5, 2000
      --- "Diane S. Sawyer" <tasha_medved@...> wrote:

      I believe so, since it's linked off Laurel's page and
      sold by Free Trumpet Press West.  I used it, as
      did a gentleman with a Russian persona in Carolingia
      (EK).

      Tasha

      Thanks, Tasha, that's what I thought. Actually, I
      could swear that I read something on-line to that
      effect, but I can't for the life of me remember where.

      Kseniia (who will hopefully be submitting her name soon)

      =====
      Kseniia Smol'nyanina mka: Christine Jacobs
      of Mountain Freehold chrstnj@...
      http://messenger.yahoo.com
    • MHoll@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 5, 2000
        Paul's dictionary is indeed acceptable documentation, since he lists all the
        primary sources he used for each entry. However, you need to provide
        photocopies (or a URL and a printout, IIRC) with your submission.

        Predslava.
      • Diane S. Sawyer
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 5, 2000
          --- Christine Jacobs <chrstnj@...> wrote:

          > --- "Diane S. Sawyer" <tasha_medved@...>
          > wrote:
          >
          > I believe so, since it's linked off Laurel's page
          > and
          > sold by Free Trumpet Press West.  I used it, as
          > did a gentleman with a Russian persona in Carolingia
          > (EK).
          >
          > Tasha
          >

          > Thanks, Tasha, that's what I thought. Actually, I
          > could swear that I read something on-line to that
          > effect, but I can't for the life of me remember
          > where.
          >
          > Kseniia (who will hopefully be submitting her name
          > soon)

          me too... somewhere in the RfS or the Admin Handbook,
          I think; just didn't have time to look it up this
          morning. Hang on, I'll check and see if a quick scan
          will turn anything up...
          <cue Jeopardy music>
          <fade music up and out>
          Dang; I can't find it. I'll ask on the SCA Herald's
          list.

          Tasha
          http://messenger.yahoo.com
        • Zachary Weenig
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 5, 2000
            I can say with perfect accuracy(at least in An Tir and at Laurel) that you
            can use Paul's list as a source. I just got my name and device registered,
            and the only source I used was the list. You may want to ask your Kingdom
            herald to make sure. It only took me a couple e-mails to get the answer.

            Alexander(Whoo Hoo I am a real Person)
          • Robert J Welenc
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 5, 2000
              At 07:53 AM 1/5/00 -0800, you wrote:

              >> Thanks, Tasha, that's what I thought. Actually, I
              >> could swear that I read something on-line to that
              >> effect, but I can't for the life of me remember
              >> where.
              >>
              >> Kseniia (who will hopefully be submitting her name
              >> soon)
              >>

              >me too... somewhere in the RfS or the Admin Handbook,
              >I think; just didn't have time to look it up this
              >morning. Hang on, I'll check and see if a quick scan
              >will turn anything up...
              ><cue Jeopardy music>
              ><fade music up and out>
              >Dang; I can't find it. I'll ask on the SCA Herald's
              >list.

              That was a Jaelle cover letter, referencing website documentation in
              general. Print off the relevant page(s) making sure that the URL is
              part of the page. (Or photocopy the page of the book.)

              Russian names are registered all the time with no more documentation
              than Paul's book/website.

              Alanna
              Golden Dolphin Herald
              Laurel Minion
            • Diane S. Sawyer
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 5, 2000
                --- Robert J Welenc <rjwelenc@...> wrote:
                {snip}

                > That was a Jaelle cover letter, referencing website
                > documentation in
                > general. Print off the relevant page(s) making sure
                > that the URL is
                > part of the page. (Or photocopy the page of the
                > book.)

                I think you have to have the date printed on there,
                too -- my puter just does it automagically.

                > Russian names are registered all the time with no
                > more documentation
                > than Paul's book/website.
                >
                > Alanna
                > Golden Dolphin Herald
                > Laurel Minion

                I was SO psyched to find that resource, the night
                after my first fight practice!

                Tasha
                http://messenger.yahoo.com
              • Christine Jacobs
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 7, 2000
                  Well, I thought I'd check Paul's dictionary just to
                  see what kind of feminine names starting with
                  "T[vowel]R" there actually were, but I couldn't find a
                  one! Here's a list of feminine names starting with
                  "T" though.
                  (I'm partial to Taidala/Taidula and T'rpena myself...)
                  Please forgive the formatting - it doesn't copy/paste
                  well...

                  -- Kseniia

                  Taidala (f) -- Taidala, tsaritsa. 1378. [Nik XI 33]
                  Taidula (f) -- Taidula. 1364. [Zap 35]
                  vars: Tandula. 1364. [Zap 129]
                  Taina (f) -- Taina. 1609. [Mor 190]
                  Taisiia (f) -- Taisiia, saint. 4th Century. [Buk 571]
                  Tata (f) -- Tata. 14th Century. [Lev 5]
                  Tatsa (f) -- Tatsa, nicknamed Bezruchka. Recorded in
                  1623. [Tup 460]
                  Tat'iana (f) -- "to designate."
                  Tat'iana, martyr. 1356. [Lev 3]
                  Dims: Tanka. 1623-4. [RIB II 625]
                  Tan'ia. 14th-15th Centuries. [Art III

                  66; #129]
                  Tat'ianitsa (widow). 1630. [RIB XIV
                  697]
                  Tat'ianka (Tat'ianka Ostashkova zhena).

                  1634-42. [RIB II 747]
                  Vars: Tatiana (martyr). Died in 225. [Buk
                  31]
                  Tatiiana (Tatiiana Iakovleva). Mid 15th

                  Century. [Gra 225]
                  Mets: Tat'ianin (Argun Tat'ianin,
                  landowner).
                  c1539. [Tup 32]
                  Tavlunbeka (f) -- var of Tuvlunbeka.
                  Techa (f) -- var of Tekha.
                  Teha (f) -- var of Tekha.
                  Tekha (f) -- Tekha. 1088. [Mor 195]
                  Vars: Techa. 1088. [Mor 195]
                  Teha. 1088. [Mor 195]
                  Tekusa (f) -- "birthing."
                  Tekusa, martyr. 3rd Century. [Buk
                  261-2]
                  Teshka (f) -- Teshka. 850. [Mor 196]
                  Teta (f) -- "aunt."
                  Teta. 6th Century. [Mor 192]
                  Dims: Tetka, daughter of Krok. 670. [Khr
                  250]
                  Totka (Gridia Totka, landowner). 1500.
                  [Tup 391]
                  Tevkel (f) -- Tevkel Magmeteva doch', tsaritsa. 1554.
                  [Nik XIII 243]
                  Vars: Tevkel' (Tevkel' Magmeteva doch',
                  tsaritsa). 1554.
                  [Nik XIII 243]
                  Tferian'ka (f) -- Tferian'ka, second wife of
                  Lithuanian
                  Great Prince Ol'gerd Gediminovich.
                  1377. [Avr 103]
                  Tiaga (f) -- Andrei Tiaga, Vinnitsa craftsman. 1552.
                  [Tup 407]
                  Titka (f) -- Titka Ivanova zhena. 1612. [RIB II 284]
                  Tomila (f) -- "torment."
                  Tomila Kshtovtovna, wife of Polotsk
                  boiar. 1545.
                  [Tup 463]
                  Tomislava (f) -- Tomislava, Croatian queen. 914. [Mor
                  193]
                  Troika (f) -- "trio."
                  Vars: Troyka. 1281. [Mor 194]
                  Trufena (f) -- Trufena, martyr. 1356. [Lev 26]
                  Tul'na (f) --
                  Vars: Tulna. 1088. [Mor 195]
                  Tutana (f) -- Tutana. 1102. [Mor 195]
                  Tuvlunbeka (f) -- Tuvlunbeka, tsaritsa. 1386. [Nik XI
                  87]
                  Vars: Tavlunbeka (tsaritsa). 1386. [Nik XI
                  87]
                  Tvoislava (f) -- "your glory."
                  Vars: Tvoyzlava. 1302. [Mor 191]
                  T'rpena (f) -- T'rpena. 13-14th Centuries. [Lev 37]

                  =====
                  http://im.yahoo.com
                • vespirus@xxxxxxxx.xxxxxxxx.xxxx
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 7, 2000
                    On Wed, 5 Jan 2000 MHoll@... wrote:

                    > Paul's dictionary is indeed acceptable documentation, since he lists all the
                    > primary sources he used for each entry. However, you need to provide
                    > photocopies (or a URL and a printout, IIRC) with your submission.

                    Actually, I believe Paul's dictionary is one of the source for which
                    photocopies are not required by Laurel, on the grounds that Laurel already
                    has a copy. However, you should be very careful to note which edition you
                    use, to include relevant dates, and to cite the headword entry for each
                    name element you wish to document.

                    --Walraven
                  • Robert J Welenc
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 7, 2000
                      At 04:47 PM 1/7/00 -0800, you wrote:

                      >On Wed, 5 Jan 2000 MHoll@... wrote:
                      >
                      >> Paul's dictionary is indeed acceptable documentation, since he
                      lists all the
                      >> primary sources he used for each entry. However, you need to
                      provide
                      >> photocopies (or a URL and a printout, IIRC) with your submission.
                      >
                      >Actually, I believe Paul's dictionary is one of the source for which
                      >photocopies are not required by Laurel, on the grounds that Laurel
                      already
                      >has a copy.

                      It's not on the no-photocopy list. It may be that the former Laurel
                      had a personal copy but the Laurel office does not. It is, however,
                      linked directly to the http://www.sca.org/heraldry/ page, and is
                      therefore "official". A copy of the relevant page wouldn't be amiss,
                      though. If it's not necessary, the filing grunts can discard it.

                      Alanna
                      ***********
                      Saying of the day:
                      If you don't have one, BUY A FIRE EXTINGUISHER NOW!!!
                    • Jenn/Yana
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 7, 2000
                        >It's not on the no-photocopy list. It may be that the former Laurel
                        >had a personal copy but the Laurel office does not. It is, however,
                        >linked directly to the http://www.sca.org/heraldry/ page, and is
                        >therefore "official". A copy of the relevant page wouldn't be amiss,
                        >though. If it's not necessary, the filing grunts can discard it.

                        Careful, Paul *is* one of those "filing grunts"! :)
                        Yes, it is better to include a photocopy than to not include one until his
                        book is put back on the "do not copy" list.

                        --Yana
                      • MHoll@xxx.xxx
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 7, 2000
                          In a message dated 1/7/2000 6:48:00 PM Central Standard Time,
                          vespirus@... writes:

                          > Actually, I believe Paul's dictionary is one of the source for which
                          > photocopies are not required by Laurel, on the grounds that Laurel already
                          > has a copy.

                          It's been a while since I've looked at a submission. Nice to know the
                          dictionary is finally on the no-copy list.

                          Predslava
                        • MHoll@xxx.xxx
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 7, 2000
                            In a message dated 1/7/2000 9:22:33 PM Central Standard Time,
                            rjwelenc@... writes:

                            > It's not on the no-photocopy list.

                            Aha! But it is an accepted source.

                            (Should read *all* my mail before responding).

                            Predslava