Name Documentation

  • Christine Jacobs
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 5, 2000
      Quick question -

      Is Paul's name database considered adequate
      documentation for name submission? I'm just hoping
      that I don't have to dig up the sources he uses and
      make photocopies . . .

      -- Kseniia

      =====
      Kseniia Smol'nyanina mka: Christine Jacobs
      of Mountain Freehold chrstnj@...
      http://messenger.yahoo.com
    • Diane S. Sawyer
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 5, 2000
        --- Christine Jacobs <chrstnj@...> wrote:
        > Quick question -
        >
        > Is Paul's name database considered adequate
        > documentation for name submission? I'm just hoping
        > that I don't have to dig up the sources he uses and
        > make photocopies . . .
        >
        > -- Kseniia

        I believe so, since it's linked off Laurel's page and
        sold by Free Trumpet Press West. I used it, as did a
        gentleman with a Russian persona in Carolingia (EK).

        Tasha
        http://messenger.yahoo.com
      • Christine Jacobs
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 5, 2000
          --- "Diane S. Sawyer" <tasha_medved@...> wrote:

          I believe so, since it's linked off Laurel's page and
          sold by Free Trumpet Press West.  I used it, as
          did a gentleman with a Russian persona in Carolingia
          (EK).

          Tasha

          Thanks, Tasha, that's what I thought. Actually, I
          could swear that I read something on-line to that
          effect, but I can't for the life of me remember where.

          Kseniia (who will hopefully be submitting her name soon)

          =====
        • MHoll@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 5, 2000
            Paul's dictionary is indeed acceptable documentation, since he lists all the
            primary sources he used for each entry. However, you need to provide
            photocopies (or a URL and a printout, IIRC) with your submission.

            Predslava.
          • Diane S. Sawyer
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 5, 2000
              --- Christine Jacobs <chrstnj@...> wrote:

              > --- "Diane S. Sawyer" <tasha_medved@...>
              > wrote:
              >
              > I believe so, since it's linked off Laurel's page
              > and
              > sold by Free Trumpet Press West.  I used it, as
              > did a gentleman with a Russian persona in Carolingia
              > (EK).
              >
              > Tasha
              >

              > Thanks, Tasha, that's what I thought. Actually, I
              > could swear that I read something on-line to that
              > effect, but I can't for the life of me remember
              > where.
              >
              > Kseniia (who will hopefully be submitting her name
              > soon)

              me too... somewhere in the RfS or the Admin Handbook,
              I think; just didn't have time to look it up this
              morning. Hang on, I'll check and see if a quick scan
              will turn anything up...
              <cue Jeopardy music>
              <fade music up and out>
              Dang; I can't find it. I'll ask on the SCA Herald's
              list.

              Tasha
              http://messenger.yahoo.com
            • Zachary Weenig
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 5, 2000
                I can say with perfect accuracy(at least in An Tir and at Laurel) that you
                can use Paul's list as a source. I just got my name and device registered,
                and the only source I used was the list. You may want to ask your Kingdom
                herald to make sure. It only took me a couple e-mails to get the answer.

                Alexander(Whoo Hoo I am a real Person)
              • Robert J Welenc
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 5, 2000
                  At 07:53 AM 1/5/00 -0800, you wrote:

                  >> Thanks, Tasha, that's what I thought. Actually, I
                  >> could swear that I read something on-line to that
                  >> effect, but I can't for the life of me remember
                  >> where.
                  >>
                  >> Kseniia (who will hopefully be submitting her name
                  >> soon)
                  >>

                  >me too... somewhere in the RfS or the Admin Handbook,
                  >I think; just didn't have time to look it up this
                  >morning. Hang on, I'll check and see if a quick scan
                  >will turn anything up...
                  ><cue Jeopardy music>
                  ><fade music up and out>
                  >Dang; I can't find it. I'll ask on the SCA Herald's
                  >list.

                  That was a Jaelle cover letter, referencing website documentation in
                  general. Print off the relevant page(s) making sure that the URL is
                  part of the page. (Or photocopy the page of the book.)

                  Russian names are registered all the time with no more documentation
                  than Paul's book/website.

                  Alanna
                  Golden Dolphin Herald
                  Laurel Minion
                • Diane S. Sawyer
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 5, 2000
                    --- Robert J Welenc <rjwelenc@...> wrote:
                    {snip}

                    > That was a Jaelle cover letter, referencing website
                    > documentation in
                    > general. Print off the relevant page(s) making sure
                    > that the URL is
                    > part of the page. (Or photocopy the page of the
                    > book.)

                    I think you have to have the date printed on there,
                    too -- my puter just does it automagically.

                    > Russian names are registered all the time with no
                    > more documentation
                    > than Paul's book/website.
                    >
                    > Alanna
                    > Golden Dolphin Herald
                    > Laurel Minion

                    I was SO psyched to find that resource, the night
                    after my first fight practice!

                    Tasha
                    http://messenger.yahoo.com
                  • Christine Jacobs
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 7, 2000
                      Well, I thought I'd check Paul's dictionary just to
                      see what kind of feminine names starting with
                      "T[vowel]R" there actually were, but I couldn't find a
                      one! Here's a list of feminine names starting with
                      "T" though.
                      (I'm partial to Taidala/Taidula and T'rpena myself...)
                      Please forgive the formatting - it doesn't copy/paste
                      well...

                      -- Kseniia

                      Taidala (f) -- Taidala, tsaritsa. 1378. [Nik XI 33]
                      Taidula (f) -- Taidula. 1364. [Zap 35]
                      vars: Tandula. 1364. [Zap 129]
                      Taina (f) -- Taina. 1609. [Mor 190]
                      Taisiia (f) -- Taisiia, saint. 4th Century. [Buk 571]
                      Tata (f) -- Tata. 14th Century. [Lev 5]
                      Tatsa (f) -- Tatsa, nicknamed Bezruchka. Recorded in
                      1623. [Tup 460]
                      Tat'iana (f) -- "to designate."
                      Tat'iana, martyr. 1356. [Lev 3]
                      Dims: Tanka. 1623-4. [RIB II 625]
                      Tan'ia. 14th-15th Centuries. [Art III

                      66; #129]
                      Tat'ianitsa (widow). 1630. [RIB XIV
                      697]
                      Tat'ianka (Tat'ianka Ostashkova zhena).

                      1634-42. [RIB II 747]
                      Vars: Tatiana (martyr). Died in 225. [Buk
                      31]
                      Tatiiana (Tatiiana Iakovleva). Mid 15th

                      Century. [Gra 225]
                      Mets: Tat'ianin (Argun Tat'ianin,
                      landowner).
                      c1539. [Tup 32]
                      Tavlunbeka (f) -- var of Tuvlunbeka.
                      Techa (f) -- var of Tekha.
                      Teha (f) -- var of Tekha.
                      Tekha (f) -- Tekha. 1088. [Mor 195]
                      Vars: Techa. 1088. [Mor 195]
                      Teha. 1088. [Mor 195]
                      Tekusa (f) -- "birthing."
                      Tekusa, martyr. 3rd Century. [Buk
                      261-2]
                      Teshka (f) -- Teshka. 850. [Mor 196]
                      Teta (f) -- "aunt."
                      Teta. 6th Century. [Mor 192]
                      Dims: Tetka, daughter of Krok. 670. [Khr
                      250]
                      Totka (Gridia Totka, landowner). 1500.
                      [Tup 391]
                      Tevkel (f) -- Tevkel Magmeteva doch', tsaritsa. 1554.
                      [Nik XIII 243]
                      Vars: Tevkel' (Tevkel' Magmeteva doch',
                      tsaritsa). 1554.
                      [Nik XIII 243]
                      Tferian'ka (f) -- Tferian'ka, second wife of
                      Lithuanian
                      Great Prince Ol'gerd Gediminovich.
                      1377. [Avr 103]
                      Tiaga (f) -- Andrei Tiaga, Vinnitsa craftsman. 1552.
                      [Tup 407]
                      Titka (f) -- Titka Ivanova zhena. 1612. [RIB II 284]
                      Tomila (f) -- "torment."
                      Tomila Kshtovtovna, wife of Polotsk
                      boiar. 1545.
                      [Tup 463]
                      Tomislava (f) -- Tomislava, Croatian queen. 914. [Mor
                      193]
                      Troika (f) -- "trio."
                      Vars: Troyka. 1281. [Mor 194]
                      Trufena (f) -- Trufena, martyr. 1356. [Lev 26]
                      Tul'na (f) --
                      Vars: Tulna. 1088. [Mor 195]
                      Tutana (f) -- Tutana. 1102. [Mor 195]
                      Tuvlunbeka (f) -- Tuvlunbeka, tsaritsa. 1386. [Nik XI
                      87]
                      Vars: Tavlunbeka (tsaritsa). 1386. [Nik XI
                      87]
                      Tvoislava (f) -- "your glory."
                      Vars: Tvoyzlava. 1302. [Mor 191]
                      T'rpena (f) -- T'rpena. 13-14th Centuries. [Lev 37]

                      =====
                      http://im.yahoo.com
                    • vespirus@xxxxxxxx.xxxxxxxx.xxxx
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 7, 2000
                        On Wed, 5 Jan 2000 MHoll@... wrote:

                        > Paul's dictionary is indeed acceptable documentation, since he lists all the
                        > primary sources he used for each entry. However, you need to provide
                        > photocopies (or a URL and a printout, IIRC) with your submission.

                        Actually, I believe Paul's dictionary is one of the source for which
                        photocopies are not required by Laurel, on the grounds that Laurel already
                        has a copy. However, you should be very careful to note which edition you
                        use, to include relevant dates, and to cite the headword entry for each
                        name element you wish to document.

                        --Walraven
                      • Robert J Welenc
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 7, 2000
                          At 04:47 PM 1/7/00 -0800, you wrote:

                          >On Wed, 5 Jan 2000 MHoll@... wrote:
                          >
                          >> Paul's dictionary is indeed acceptable documentation, since he
                          lists all the
                          >> primary sources he used for each entry. However, you need to
                          provide
                          >> photocopies (or a URL and a printout, IIRC) with your submission.
                          >
                          >Actually, I believe Paul's dictionary is one of the source for which
                          >photocopies are not required by Laurel, on the grounds that Laurel
                          already
                          >has a copy.

                          It's not on the no-photocopy list. It may be that the former Laurel
                          had a personal copy but the Laurel office does not. It is, however,
                          linked directly to the http://www.sca.org/heraldry/ page, and is
                          therefore "official". A copy of the relevant page wouldn't be amiss,
                          though. If it's not necessary, the filing grunts can discard it.

                          Alanna
                          ***********
                          Saying of the day:
                          If you don't have one, BUY A FIRE EXTINGUISHER NOW!!!
                        • Jenn/Yana
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 7, 2000
                            >It's not on the no-photocopy list. It may be that the former Laurel
                            >had a personal copy but the Laurel office does not. It is, however,
                            >linked directly to the http://www.sca.org/heraldry/ page, and is
                            >therefore "official". A copy of the relevant page wouldn't be amiss,
                            >though. If it's not necessary, the filing grunts can discard it.

                            Careful, Paul *is* one of those "filing grunts"! :)
                            Yes, it is better to include a photocopy than to not include one until his
                            book is put back on the "do not copy" list.

                            --Yana
                          • MHoll@xxx.xxx
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jan 7, 2000
                              In a message dated 1/7/2000 6:48:00 PM Central Standard Time,
                              vespirus@... writes:

                              > Actually, I believe Paul's dictionary is one of the source for which
                              > photocopies are not required by Laurel, on the grounds that Laurel already
                              > has a copy.

                              It's been a while since I've looked at a submission. Nice to know the
                              dictionary is finally on the no-copy list.

                              Predslava
                            • MHoll@xxx.xxx
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jan 7, 2000
                                In a message dated 1/7/2000 9:22:33 PM Central Standard Time,
                                rjwelenc@... writes:

                                > It's not on the no-photocopy list.

                                Aha! But it is an accepted source.

                                (Should read *all* my mail before responding).

                                Predslava