Re: [sig] Pants for under zupans

  • Lisa Kies
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 10, 2010
      On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 2:36 PM, Sfandra <seonaid13@...> wrote:

      > > >? "Shapka" is another term, but I
      > > think that might
      > > > actually mean "felt" more than describing a shape/type
      > > of hat - Sofya, do
      > > > you concur?
      > > >

      > > No, I don't see how "shapka" could mean felt. Shapka
      > > is the generic term for "hat" in Russian.
      >
      > Sorry, my typo! I meant "felt hat" -- hat made of felt. But you're right.
      >
      > I probably got the sense that it was specific to felt hats because I so
      > often see fur hats listed as something else -- 'ushanka' usually, though I
      > have no idea about the etomology of that term.
      >
      > --Sfandra

      Ah, "felt hat" makes more sense for shapka than "felt", although just
      because most hats these days are baseball caps, doesn't mean that "hat"
      means "basefall cap".
      An "ushanka" is a hat with ear flaps - name derived from the word for ear,
      ukho.

      Russian is so logical. Sometimes. ;-)

      Sofya

      ___
      http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
      {o,o}
      (__(|
      "Nasytivshimsya knizhnoj sladosti."
      -^-^-`
    • Anthony Bryant
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 10, 2010
        On Mar 10, 2010, at 4:41 PM, Lisa Kies wrote:

        > An "ushanka" is a hat with ear flaps - name derived from the word
        > for ear,
        > ukho.

        So what would I call my Bugs Bunny hat? ;)

        Effingsilly
      • Electric Wolf
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 11, 2010
          --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Bryant <ajbryant@...> wrote:

          > On Mar 10, 2010, at 4:41 PM, Lisa Kies wrote:
          >

          > > An "ushanka" is a hat with ear flaps - name derived from the word
          > > for ear,
          > > ukho.
          > >

          > So what would I call my Bugs Bunny hat? ;)
          >

          > Effingsilly

          krolikushanka? :)

          David "Volk" Mc
        • Anthony Bryant
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 11, 2010
            On Mar 11, 2010, at 5:40 AM, Electric Wolf wrote:

            > > So what would I call my Bugs Bunny hat? ;)
            >
            > krolikushanka? :)

            LOL!

            Effingham