Re: panova?

  • Diane S. Sawyer
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 4, 2000
      --- Jenn/Yana <jdmiller2@...> wrote:
      > From: Jenn/Yana <jdmiller2@...>
      >
      > Isabelle wrote:
      >
      > >I'm planning to
      > >paint this even though I've read that they
      > block-printed the things. I'd
      > >hate to nuke my hand with a block-cutter.
      >
      > I'll share an easy and cheap way to print on fabric
      > that I learned in a
      > fibers and fabrics class that is just right for
      > doing simple geometric
      > designs on fabric, paper and whatever else you feel
      > like printing. Get a
      > block of 1/2" thick (or so) wood the size of your
      > design. Take old, used
      > *bicycle inner tubes* (thin black rubber) and cut
      > your design out of them.
      > Glue to the wood. You now have a durable printing
      > block. You can use
      > scissors or an exacto blade to cut the rubber, no
      > need for special tools.
      > Print using your favorite dyes/paints. I've only
      > ever used t-shirt paint,
      > but my teacher said she had used other substances to
      > varying degrees of
      > success. Test it on a sample piece of cloth first,
      > wash and dry and see if
      > you like the way it holds up.
      >
      > --Yana

      Oh, excellent! Thanks for sharing!

      I use Delta Ceramcoat acrylic paint. It comes in a
      bazillion colors (I counted!), including gold and
      silver, and it cleans up quickly. I would recommend
      using a foam roller (look in the stenciling section of
      the craft store) instead of dipping the stamp in the
      paint; dipping makes it goopy. If you can't find a
      roller, use a foam brush to load the stamp.

      There are some foam stamps in the craft stores that
      might work for your purposes, BTW, both open cell and
      closed cell foam. The open cell foam takes a boatload
      of paint to load it, just so you know.

      Post pics when you get it done? Pretty please?

      Tasha
      http://messenger.yahoo.com