Re: [sig] Pants for under zupans

  • Lisa Kies
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 9 5:40 PM
      Greetings from Sofya!

      On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 2:55 PM, Sfandra <seonaid13@...> wrote:

      For my husband, Lord Aleksei Brazhnikov, I make more fitted pants.
      > Definitely more thorsberg trousers (though footless) than the SCA generic
      > "poofy" pants.

      I agree with the more fitted pants:
      http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/clothingart.html

      > > I am debating getting him Uggs or making leather
      > > shoes/boots. I found Pics of extant Russian leather shoes.
      >
      > For shoes, I assume you've visited Michael's medival Novgorod leather site?
      > If you have the disposable income, www.Armlann.com<http://www.armlann.com/>will adapt his Knee High boot to have a high point in the front like the
      > boot dug up in Novgorod.

      Standard Western European medieval turn shoes/boots are a reasonable start.

      > > What other cultures used zupans? What other decades?
      >
      > Speaking from Kievan Rus, men wore a very similar garment in the early
      > period (9thC to 13th C). Check out "zipun", "svita", "kaftan/caftan". See
      > Sofya's notes on Men's Clothing, Layer 2.

      You can give yourself a serious headache if you worry a lot about the
      various terms to garments that we would tend to lump together as "caftans".
      Different sleeve lengths, different cuff styles, different fabrics,
      different collars, different cultures, different languages, etc. etc. etc.
      That's why I organized my clothing notes into "layers".

      > > What kinds of hats did they wear? I am working
      > > on the type that is like a skullcap with pie pieces and a
      > > fur brim. He also has a black wide brim hat to prevent
      > > sunburns on his head.
      >
      > If you make that dome hat kind of tall, with a cloth turned up brim, that's
      > another sort of hat one could wear. Also google "kolpak" if he's interested
      > in a more polish look. "Shapka" is another term, but I think that might
      > actually mean "felt" more than describing a shape/type of hat - Sofya, do
      > you concur?

      No, I don't see how "shapka" could mean felt. Shapka is the generic term
      for "hat" in Russian. I even checked in Dal's dictionary. I had a teacher
      named "Gospazha Velikoshapka" when I was learning Russian - Mrs. "Big-Hat",
      although "Big-Hair" would have been more accurate. ;-)

      Thanks to Mordak, you can get more hat (and caftan) inspiration here:
      http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/Mordak/index.html

      > .

      At your service,
      Sofya

      ___
      http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
      {o,o}
      (__(|
      "Nasytivshimsya knizhnoj sladosti."
      -^-^-`
    • rickjs
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 10 11:41 AM
        We have no clear picture of the tops of pants (they always have coats on) so its a guess, but usually the legs are shown as snug. However sometimes eastern or turkish fashion snuck in and they had poofy pants. I would say, typically snug but not 'fitted'/'tailored' in the western sense. Basically they would be eastern 'square' cut..
        In http://www.kismeta.com/diGrasse/patterns.htm
        I suggest some possible patterns from tilke of folk costume suitable for riding that seem to fit the bill.

        I love arguing with my Cossack friends... they insist on wearing sharavori poofy pants but evidence for them in the 16-17th C. is very thin. Many, maybe all, drawings of cossacks in the period show tight pants. However, I personally believe the poofy pants were around as a minority fashion choice.
        -Rick

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 10 12:36 PM
          > >? "Shapka" is another term, but I
          > think that might
          > > actually mean "felt" more than describing a shape/type
          > of hat - Sofya, do
          > > you concur?
          > >

          > No, I don't see how "shapka" could mean felt.  Shapka
          > is the generic term for "hat" in Russian.

          Sorry, my typo! I meant "felt hat" -- hat made of felt. But you're right.

          I probably got the sense that it was specific to felt hats because I so often see fur hats listed as something else -- 'ushanka' usually, though I have no idea about the etomology of that term.

          --Sfandra
        • Lisa Kies
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 10 1:41 PM
            On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 2:36 PM, Sfandra <seonaid13@...> wrote:

            > > >? "Shapka" is another term, but I
            > > think that might
            > > > actually mean "felt" more than describing a shape/type
            > > of hat - Sofya, do
            > > > you concur?
            > > >

            > > No, I don't see how "shapka" could mean felt. Shapka
            > > is the generic term for "hat" in Russian.
            >
            > Sorry, my typo! I meant "felt hat" -- hat made of felt. But you're right.
            >
            > I probably got the sense that it was specific to felt hats because I so
            > often see fur hats listed as something else -- 'ushanka' usually, though I
            > have no idea about the etomology of that term.
            >
            > --Sfandra

            Ah, "felt hat" makes more sense for shapka than "felt", although just
            because most hats these days are baseball caps, doesn't mean that "hat"
            means "basefall cap".
            An "ushanka" is a hat with ear flaps - name derived from the word for ear,
            ukho.

            Russian is so logical. Sometimes. ;-)

            Sofya

            ___
            http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
            {o,o}
            (__(|
            "Nasytivshimsya knizhnoj sladosti."
            -^-^-`
          • Anthony Bryant
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 10 5:24 PM
              On Mar 10, 2010, at 4:41 PM, Lisa Kies wrote:

              > An "ushanka" is a hat with ear flaps - name derived from the word
              > for ear,
              > ukho.

              So what would I call my Bugs Bunny hat? ;)

              Effingsilly
            • Electric Wolf
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 11 2:40 AM
                --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Bryant <ajbryant@...> wrote:

                > On Mar 10, 2010, at 4:41 PM, Lisa Kies wrote:
                >

                > > An "ushanka" is a hat with ear flaps - name derived from the word
                > > for ear,
                > > ukho.
                > >

                > So what would I call my Bugs Bunny hat? ;)
                >

                > Effingsilly

                krolikushanka? :)

                David "Volk" Mc
              • Anthony Bryant
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 11 12:33 PM
                  On Mar 11, 2010, at 5:40 AM, Electric Wolf wrote:

                  > > So what would I call my Bugs Bunny hat? ;)
                  >
                  > krolikushanka? :)

                  LOL!

                  Effingham