Info on Rus block printing on textiles?

  • Hastings
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 7 10:21 AM
      I've been having so much fun carving molds for prianiki that I thought I might try my hand at carving some wood stamps for textile printing. Before I get crazy with it though, I wanted to have a bit more information. I was wondering if it was a project that any one else here had explored?

      I did find this page (in Polish)http://www.strojesigrid.zafriko.pl/str/tkaniny_ with some scraps of printed wool fabrics dating to approximately the period I'm looking at. I am a little flummoxed by the fact that they are done on wool however, as it was my understanding that printing was normally done on linen. The references I found (thank you, thank you Sofia for your translation of Kolchin) were more in keeping with that as well. In the literature the linen seems to be printed first and then overdyed. The wool in those examples doesn't necessarily seem that way.

      There is a tiny blurb about block printing on textiles in my copy of History of Textiles, but it is western centered so doesn't say much about it until Indian cottons become popular in England, so that's not particularly helpful.

      -Praksedys
    • Hastings Sanderson
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 8 3:15 PM
        Of further interest, a 15th century treatise in Monastery of St. Catherine
        at nurenburg. Directions for Manufacturing textile prints.

        CIBA review #26 covers medieval printed linen chasubles

        http://www.cs.arizona.edu/patterns/weaving/webdocs/mnm_mt32.pdf

        Someone's A&S documentation
        http://webzoom.freewebs.com/bessdarnley/Revised%20Woodblock%20Printing%20Project.pdf

        Cenninni's 15th century treatise �Il Libro dell� Arte