Re: panova?

  • Jenn/Yana
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 4, 2000
      Isabelle wrote:

      >I'm planning to
      >paint this even though I've read that they block-printed the things. I'd
      >hate to nuke my hand with a block-cutter.

      I'll share an easy and cheap way to print on fabric that I learned in a
      fibers and fabrics class that is just right for doing simple geometric
      designs on fabric, paper and whatever else you feel like printing. Get a
      block of 1/2" thick (or so) wood the size of your design. Take old, used
      *bicycle inner tubes* (thin black rubber) and cut your design out of them.
      Glue to the wood. You now have a durable printing block. You can use
      scissors or an exacto blade to cut the rubber, no need for special tools.
      Print using your favorite dyes/paints. I've only ever used t-shirt paint,
      but my teacher said she had used other substances to varying degrees of
      success. Test it on a sample piece of cloth first, wash and dry and see if
      you like the way it holds up.

      --Yana
    • Diane S. Sawyer
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 4, 2000
        --- Jenn/Yana <jdmiller2@...> wrote:
        > From: Jenn/Yana <jdmiller2@...>
        >
        > Isabelle wrote:
        >
        > >I'm planning to
        > >paint this even though I've read that they
        > block-printed the things. I'd
        > >hate to nuke my hand with a block-cutter.
        >
        > I'll share an easy and cheap way to print on fabric
        > that I learned in a
        > fibers and fabrics class that is just right for
        > doing simple geometric
        > designs on fabric, paper and whatever else you feel
        > like printing. Get a
        > block of 1/2" thick (or so) wood the size of your
        > design. Take old, used
        > *bicycle inner tubes* (thin black rubber) and cut
        > your design out of them.
        > Glue to the wood. You now have a durable printing
        > block. You can use
        > scissors or an exacto blade to cut the rubber, no
        > need for special tools.
        > Print using your favorite dyes/paints. I've only
        > ever used t-shirt paint,
        > but my teacher said she had used other substances to
        > varying degrees of
        > success. Test it on a sample piece of cloth first,
        > wash and dry and see if
        > you like the way it holds up.
        >
        > --Yana

        Oh, excellent! Thanks for sharing!

        I use Delta Ceramcoat acrylic paint. It comes in a
        bazillion colors (I counted!), including gold and
        silver, and it cleans up quickly. I would recommend
        using a foam roller (look in the stenciling section of
        the craft store) instead of dipping the stamp in the
        paint; dipping makes it goopy. If you can't find a
        roller, use a foam brush to load the stamp.

        There are some foam stamps in the craft stores that
        might work for your purposes, BTW, both open cell and
        closed cell foam. The open cell foam takes a boatload
        of paint to load it, just so you know.

        Post pics when you get it done? Pretty please?

        Tasha
        http://messenger.yahoo.com