Re: [sig] Polish COA help

  • T Duran
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 14, 2010
      On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 5:08 AM, Lisa Kies <lkies319@...> wrote:

      > A demi-bull is a half-bull - waist up. There are lots of ways of getting
      > around conflicts without making things too complicated, although it can be a
      > challenge. Just be glad you aren't contemplating a cross or an eagle. ;-)

      There's an example of a demi-lion here:

      http://www.jaydax.co.uk/genlinks/heraldry-animal.html

      I see a few demi-beasts in this Polish roll, so it appears to be a
      good Polish motif:

      http://www.akromer.republika.pl/herbarz_bellenville.html

      I see also that only three of the SCA registered devices in the "Beast
      - Bull and Bison" category
      (http://oanda.sca.org/oanda_desc.cgi?p=BEAST%2dBULL%20AND%20BISON)
      feature tertiary charges on the bulls themselves. I would *think*
      that if you made the bull a demi-bull, and charged it on the shoulder
      with, say, a star, that you might sail clear of all those other bulls
      with a nice, simple design.

      Something like, "Azure, a demi-bull salient Or charged on the shoulder
      with a mullet azure." (Or some other color-metal combination -- you
      mentioned blue, so...)

      Translation: On a blue field, the top half of a rearing gold
      half-bull, with a blue star on its shoulder. (The Pleiades, which
      ride on Taurus' back, are mostly blue stars, so there's another nod
      to the constellation.) Would need to run it past a good
      conflict-checker, though.

      Something else you might consider would be a bull's massacre (just the
      horns, like this:
      http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wappen_Sersheim.png). Only
      divide it in half and make it two colors. So "Azure, a bull's
      massacre per pale gules and Or."

      Translation: "On a blue field, a pair of bull's horns that's red on
      the left side and gold on the right." (Yes, you can get away with
      half being color on color.) Again, would need to have someone check it
      for conflict against already-registered devices.

      Other interesting things in that Polish roll include what looks like a
      bulls' scalp, like the massacre, but including the ears as well, and a
      bull's head with a sword stuck through the horns (search on "Pomian"
      -- this later gets depicted as a bull's head impaled by a sword:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pomian_coat_of_arms).

      > Feel free to contact me off-list to discuss the herald-ese. Although it
      > sounds like Kazimira has heraldic tendencies, too, with the bonus of a
      > greater knowledge of Polish arms than I would have.

      Not really -- I was just skimming those rolls linked off the Medieval
      Heraldry Archive. :^)

      David, do you have a local herald helping you with your submissions ?
      If not, I can trying posting a conflict-check request on the SCAHRLDs
      list, if you find a design you particularly like. Have you had any
      luck picking a name ?

      Kazimira