Re: [sig] Polish COA help

  • Lisa Kies
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 14, 2010
      A demi-bull is a half-bull - waist up. There are lots of ways of getting
      around conflicts without making things too complicated, although it can be a
      challenge. Just be glad you aren't contemplating a cross or an eagle. ;-)

      Feel free to contact me off-list to discuss the herald-ese. Although it
      sounds like Kazimira has heraldic tendencies, too, with the bonus of a
      greater knowledge of Polish arms than I would have.

      At your service,

      Sofya
      On Sun, Feb 14, 2010 at 6:51 AM, David Borkowski <dmborkowski@...>wrote:

      > What is a demi-bull?? I agree about looking at horns, since all the bulls I
      > find seem to be already in use in one form or another. I definitely want
      > something different, but simple and I will be able to get it approved.
      > Thanks again!

    • T Duran
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 14, 2010
        On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 5:08 AM, Lisa Kies <lkies319@...> wrote:

        > A demi-bull is a half-bull - waist up. There are lots of ways of getting
        > around conflicts without making things too complicated, although it can be a
        > challenge. Just be glad you aren't contemplating a cross or an eagle. ;-)

        There's an example of a demi-lion here:

        http://www.jaydax.co.uk/genlinks/heraldry-animal.html

        I see a few demi-beasts in this Polish roll, so it appears to be a
        good Polish motif:

        http://www.akromer.republika.pl/herbarz_bellenville.html

        I see also that only three of the SCA registered devices in the "Beast
        - Bull and Bison" category
        (http://oanda.sca.org/oanda_desc.cgi?p=BEAST%2dBULL%20AND%20BISON)
        feature tertiary charges on the bulls themselves. I would *think*
        that if you made the bull a demi-bull, and charged it on the shoulder
        with, say, a star, that you might sail clear of all those other bulls
        with a nice, simple design.

        Something like, "Azure, a demi-bull salient Or charged on the shoulder
        with a mullet azure." (Or some other color-metal combination -- you
        mentioned blue, so...)

        Translation: On a blue field, the top half of a rearing gold
        half-bull, with a blue star on its shoulder. (The Pleiades, which
        ride on Taurus' back, are mostly blue stars, so there's another nod
        to the constellation.) Would need to run it past a good
        conflict-checker, though.

        Something else you might consider would be a bull's massacre (just the
        horns, like this:
        http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wappen_Sersheim.png). Only
        divide it in half and make it two colors. So "Azure, a bull's
        massacre per pale gules and Or."

        Translation: "On a blue field, a pair of bull's horns that's red on
        the left side and gold on the right." (Yes, you can get away with
        half being color on color.) Again, would need to have someone check it
        for conflict against already-registered devices.

        Other interesting things in that Polish roll include what looks like a
        bulls' scalp, like the massacre, but including the ears as well, and a
        bull's head with a sword stuck through the horns (search on "Pomian"
        -- this later gets depicted as a bull's head impaled by a sword:
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pomian_coat_of_arms).

        > Feel free to contact me off-list to discuss the herald-ese. Although it
        > sounds like Kazimira has heraldic tendencies, too, with the bonus of a
        > greater knowledge of Polish arms than I would have.

        Not really -- I was just skimming those rolls linked off the Medieval
        Heraldry Archive. :^)

        David, do you have a local herald helping you with your submissions ?
        If not, I can trying posting a conflict-check request on the SCAHRLDs
        list, if you find a design you particularly like. Have you had any
        luck picking a name ?

        Kazimira