Re: panova?

  • MHoll@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 3, 2000
      In a message dated 1/3/2000 10:20:09 PM Central Standard Time,
      tasha_medved@... writes:

      > I seem to remember reading that in early
      > period it was acceptable to wear just a belted
      > rubakha, but I simply can't bring myself to do so...
      > it feels too much like running around in my underwear.

      And right you are! To describe the terrible destruction and dishonor
      inflicted on a city, the Chronicles note that the residents were stripped
      "even to their shirts". So no, a woman would not be going around in her
      undershirt. Men, working in fields on on some other hot, sweaty task, yes,
      but a woman would not be walking around in her underwear.

      The question arises, of course, of what exactly constituted underwear, and
      what would do for upper? outer?wear in the summer. Were there undertunics
      under the tunics, so one could strip to the tunic, and yet not the
      undertunic? Were there lightweight jackets or something, or would linen over
      linen (tunic and overtunic) be cool enough?

      But in undershirts? Really! How shocking! :-)

      Predslava.
    • Patricia Hefner
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 3, 2000
        > Guess who got a scanner for Christmas? :) Here's a picture of a panova
        or
        > two, at least, I think they are panovas. I scanned this in from
        > Arkheologia: Byt i kul'tura. More pics, and Russian choir music, to come
        > a web site near you!
        >
        > http://www.geocities.com/~chrstnj/sca/panova.jpg

        Oh, I love this picture! To heck with "is it authentic" on a Meridian day
        when it's 98 degrees in the shade and the heat index is 120. I'm planning to
        paint this even though I've read that they block-printed the things. I'd
        hate to nuke my hand with a block-cutter. Putting up with sprained ankles
        from dance is injury enough, thank you very much.

        Dekuji!
        Isabelle patricia.hefner@...
      • Jenn/Yana
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 4, 2000
          Isabelle wrote:

          >I'm planning to
          >paint this even though I've read that they block-printed the things. I'd
          >hate to nuke my hand with a block-cutter.

          I'll share an easy and cheap way to print on fabric that I learned in a
          fibers and fabrics class that is just right for doing simple geometric
          designs on fabric, paper and whatever else you feel like printing. Get a
          block of 1/2" thick (or so) wood the size of your design. Take old, used
          *bicycle inner tubes* (thin black rubber) and cut your design out of them.
          Glue to the wood. You now have a durable printing block. You can use
          scissors or an exacto blade to cut the rubber, no need for special tools.
          Print using your favorite dyes/paints. I've only ever used t-shirt paint,
          but my teacher said she had used other substances to varying degrees of
          success. Test it on a sample piece of cloth first, wash and dry and see if
          you like the way it holds up.

          --Yana
        • Diane S. Sawyer
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 4, 2000
            --- Jenn/Yana <jdmiller2@...> wrote:
            > From: Jenn/Yana <jdmiller2@...>
            >
            > Isabelle wrote:
            >
            > >I'm planning to
            > >paint this even though I've read that they
            > block-printed the things. I'd
            > >hate to nuke my hand with a block-cutter.
            >
            > I'll share an easy and cheap way to print on fabric
            > that I learned in a
            > fibers and fabrics class that is just right for
            > doing simple geometric
            > designs on fabric, paper and whatever else you feel
            > like printing. Get a
            > block of 1/2" thick (or so) wood the size of your
            > design. Take old, used
            > *bicycle inner tubes* (thin black rubber) and cut
            > your design out of them.
            > Glue to the wood. You now have a durable printing
            > block. You can use
            > scissors or an exacto blade to cut the rubber, no
            > need for special tools.
            > Print using your favorite dyes/paints. I've only
            > ever used t-shirt paint,
            > but my teacher said she had used other substances to
            > varying degrees of
            > success. Test it on a sample piece of cloth first,
            > wash and dry and see if
            > you like the way it holds up.
            >
            > --Yana

            Oh, excellent! Thanks for sharing!

            I use Delta Ceramcoat acrylic paint. It comes in a
            bazillion colors (I counted!), including gold and
            silver, and it cleans up quickly. I would recommend
            using a foam roller (look in the stenciling section of
            the craft store) instead of dipping the stamp in the
            paint; dipping makes it goopy. If you can't find a
            roller, use a foam brush to load the stamp.

            There are some foam stamps in the craft stores that
            might work for your purposes, BTW, both open cell and
            closed cell foam. The open cell foam takes a boatload
            of paint to load it, just so you know.

            Post pics when you get it done? Pretty please?

            Tasha
            http://messenger.yahoo.com