Re: [sig] SCA Polish persona

  • Ana Adamski
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 9, 2010
      Wow that is the same period that I am trying to base my Polish persona after !!!

      Lady Ana Adamski

      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 9, 2010
        All the books from before 1600 discussing Polish heraldry are 15-16th century, there is a big list of sources here: http://www.heraldica.org/topics/national/polish-bibliography.htm

        "Codex Bergshammar", 15th century manuscript, now in Stockholm.
        There is a page from it here: Insignorum Clenodiorum Regis et Regni Polonie

        "Herby rycerztwa polskiego" [Coats of Arms of Polish Knights] by Bartosza Paprockiego, 1584
        http://www.pbi.edu.pl/book_reader.php?p=41365&s=1

        In terms of names, there is an index at the back of this book that might be a start.
        Akta metryki koronnej co wazniejsze z czasów Stefana Batorego. 1576-1586
        http://www.wbc.poznan.pl/dlibra/docmetadata?id=2965&from=&dirids=1

        There is also a multi-volume book that has dated examples of names:
        Taszycki, Witold. 1965-1984 "Słownik staropolskich nazw osobowych. Pod red. i ze westępem Witolda Taszyckiego." (Wrocław, Zakład Narodowy im. Ossolińskich)

        Sorry it's not much -- thankfully the SCA College of Heralds doesn't care if you have 16th century style heraldry with a 10th century name, so if you can only document a heraldic charge back so far, as long as it dates before 1600 it should be OK. (There are problems that SCA heralds don't know much about Polish heraldry, so you need to educate them about it -- there are allowances in the rules for regional styles of heraldry -- but that seems to be the biggest hurdle.)

        ~Asfridhr

        <<snip>>
        > The difficulty I am having now is finding COAs from that time and area. I found a ton of Polish COAs, but they don't tell from what region. Plus I found articles telling how some of the early Polish COAs were based on "runes". What would you suggest?
        <<snip>>
      • Ana Adamski
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 9, 2010
          Of course the best books are all in Polish, though I believe you can find many of the elements through online resources.

          Not really there is not much!!
          and at that time they were heavy influenced by the Hungarian culture.

          Lady Ana Adamski

          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 9, 2010
            btw my family is related to  "Queen" Jadwiga  so I am in the process of getting documentation from my family and the Polish National Alliance

            Lady Ana

            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 10, 2010
              <<snip>>
              > "Codex Bergshammar", 15th century manuscript, now in Stockholm.
              > There is a page from it here: Insignorum Clenodiorum Regis et Regni Polonie
              <<snip>>

              Sorry!

              Codex Bergshammar: (or at least one page from it)
              http://www.magnuski.org/pdfs/Abdank%20w%20Codex%20Bergshammar.%20A.%20Heymowski.pdf
              The full book, apparently, is in "Herby polskie w sztokholmskim Codex Bergshammar" by Adam Heymowski
              http://libris.kb.se/bib/1883374

              I also was forgetting two: 'Insignia seu Clenodia Regis et Regni Poloniae' by Jan Dlugosz (1415-1480), was transcribed in 1885 by Zygmunt Celichowski.

              Redrawn version: http://akromer.republika.pl/herbarz_dlugosz.html
              1885 version: http://www.wbc.poznan.pl/dlibra/docmetadata?id=1147

              Stemmata Polonica (also called the Arsenal Manuscript) is another heraldic book by Jan Dlugosz, ca 1540.
              http://www.wbc.poznan.pl/dlibra/docmetadata?id=46903&from=&dirids=1

              ~Asfridhr
            • T Duran
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 10, 2010
                Links to information on SCA period Polish heraldry (scroll down):
                http://www.s-gabriel.org/heraldry/slavic.shtml

                Likewise a couple of articles on names (not so useful for you, alas):
                http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/slavic.shtml

                -Kazimira