Russian pants

  • Yevgeniya Pechenaya
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 9, 2010
      So i used the pattern on Sofya's site to make my significant other a pair of Russian pants.
      42" long and for the mid section i used a square (not the 2 pieces) of 28" sides. looked totally like the picture... except for when he put them on... that insert between his legs which ended up starting out about 1-2" below the knee. It created so much extra fabric and extra room that myself and everyone at our garb workshop had a hearty laugh at him styling the middle of the pants...
      Anyhow. I cut down the square to 24" and then it actually came out looking much better with the insert started just above the knee. the pants are still roomy and there is plenty of extra room so he can freely do a split if he could/wanted to.

      I'm just wondering did i do the right thing by cutting down the square? Is there a different trick to these pants that I'm not aware of? The coolest thing was that it only took 2 hrs to complete them.

      Thank you,

      Lada

      Oooooh...
      SHINY!

    • Lisa Kies
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 14, 2010
        Greetings from Soyfa!

        On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 2:18 PM, Yevgeniya Pechenaya <ladie_lada@...>wrote:

        > So i used the pattern on Sofya's site... looked totally like the picture...
        > except for when he put them on... that insert between his legs which ended
        > up starting out about 1-2" below the knee...
        > Anyhow. I cut down the square to 24" and then it actually came out looking
        > much better with the insert started just above the knee. the pants are still
        > roomy and there is plenty of extra room so he can freely do a split if he
        > could/wanted to.
        >
        > I'm just wondering did i do the right thing by cutting down the square? Is
        > there a different trick to these pants that I'm not aware of? The coolest
        > thing was that it only took 2 hrs to complete them.

        You absolutely did the right thing. Especially since we don't have a lot of
        hard evidence about how period Russian pants were patterned. What we've got
        is based on extrapolation from "traditional" Russian peasants and
        neighboring period cultures. So tweak away!

        At your service,

        Sofya

        http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
        "Nasytivshimsya knizhnoj sladosti."
      • Jeanne
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 14, 2010
          Anyone know if there will be any Slavic classes at Gulf Wars? Nothing is posted on the schedule yet.

          Jeanne

        • Lisa Kies
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 14, 2010
            I decided to go to Gulf too late to get any classes on the on-line schedule
            and I haven't decided what to teach yet.

            Any requests? :-)

            Sofya

            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 14, 2010
              Nothing in particular - I just like going to classes :) and will be there this year from Wed afternoon to Sat afternoon, so was just checkin'.

              By the way, if anyone is interested in an inpromtu dance class, let me know.  If we can find a space, I have a couple of period-ish Ukrainian dances I can teach, if there is a cd player there that I can use - I can bring the music on cd and copies of the choreography (I teach Ukrainian dance).

              Jeanne

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 14, 2010
                Excellent. I'll be there. I've been wanting to learn some dances and
                watching U-tube videos doesn't work very well. My husband has a little
                portable CD player, but I don't know if it has speakers or if it only works
                with headphones. I have some Russian music as MP3s, too.

                Sofya

                On Sun, Feb 14, 2010 at 8:30 PM, Jeanne <bettybetravellin@...> wrote:

                > Nothing in particular - I just like going to classes :) and will be there
                > this year from Wed afternoon to Sat afternoon, so was just checkin'.
                >
                > By the way, if anyone is interested in an inpromtu dance class, let me
                > know. If we can find a space, I have a couple of period-ish Ukrainian
                > dances I can teach, if there is a cd player there that I can use - I can
                > bring the music on cd and copies of the choreography (I teach Ukrainian
                > dance).
                >
                > Jeanne

              • Jeanne
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 14, 2010
                  Sure, be happy to teach a couple of dances.  It's definitely hard to learn dance without someone to show you. There are no teaching videos that I know of that show you the steps from start to finish, and books are hard to figure out the steps from.

                  Do you know if there is a Slavic area like there was at Pennsic a couple years ago?  Do we need to arrange to find teaching space for classes and dance? Or does someone have space in their camp area to do an informal class?

                  Juliana (Jeanne)

                  ________________________________

                  On Sun, Feb 14, 2010 at 8:30 PM, Jeanne <bettybetravellin@ yahoo.ca> wrote:

                  > Nothing in particular - I just like going to classes :) and will be there
                  > this year from Wed afternoon to Sat afternoon, so was just checkin'.
                  >
                  > By the way, if anyone is interested in an inpromtu dance class, let me
                  > know. If we can find a space, I have a couple of period-ish Ukrainian
                  > dances I can teach, if there is a cd player there that I can use - I can
                  > bring the music on cd and copies of the choreography (I teach Ukrainian
                  > dance).
                  >
                  > Jeanne

                • Lisa Kies
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 15, 2010
                    Greetings from Sofya

                    I've never heard of a Slavic area at Gulf Wars.

                    There is apparently a dedicated area for European Dance at Gulf that doesn't
                    look overbooked:
                    http://www.gulfwars.org/dance.html
                    It looks like we'd coordinate through the Artisans' Row people:
                    http://www.gulfwars.org/artisan.html

                    Sofya

                  • mfrykas@mts.net
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 15, 2010
                      > Nothing in particular - I just like going to classes :) and will be there this year from Wed afternoon to Sat afternoon, so was just checkin'.
                      >
                      > By the way, if anyone is interested in an inpromtu dance class, let me know.  If we can find a space, I have a couple of period-ish Ukrainian dances I can teach, if there is a cd player there that I can use - I can bring the music on cd and copies of the choreography (I teach Ukrainian dance).
                      >
                      > Jeanne

                      Ooo,ooo!! If you have the resources could you please record this class and post it somewhere? I have an interest in early Slavic folk dance but no time to research it. I find the current style of dance to be too ballet oriented for my liking.

                      Michele (aka Dzinovia a former Ukrainian Dancer)
                    • Jennifer Nelson Kemp
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 16, 2010
                        I've translated and put in a "how to" of the "poofy" pants from the Danish
                        reenactors. You can see them at my website http://web.mac.com/ianuk

                        Ianuk

                        On Sun, Feb 14, 2010 at 12:10 PM, Lisa Kies <lkies319@...> wrote:

                        > Greetings from Soyfa!
                        >
                        > On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 2:18 PM, Yevgeniya Pechenaya <ladie_lada@...<ladie_lada%40yahoo.com>
                        > >wrote:
                        >
                        > > So i used the pattern on Sofya's site... looked totally like the
                        > picture...
                        >
                        > > except for when he put them on... that insert between his legs which
                        > ended
                        > > up starting out about 1-2" below the knee...
                        >
                        > > Anyhow. I cut down the square to 24" and then it actually came out
                        > looking
                        > > much better with the insert started just above the knee. the pants are
                        > still
                        > > roomy and there is plenty of extra room so he can freely do a split if he
                        > > could/wanted to.
                        > >
                        > > I'm just wondering did i do the right thing by cutting down the square?
                        > Is
                        > > there a different trick to these pants that I'm not aware of? The coolest
                        > > thing was that it only took 2 hrs to complete them.
                        > >
                        > You absolutely did the right thing. Especially since we don't have a lot of
                        > hard evidence about how period Russian pants were patterned. What we've got
                        > is based on extrapolation from "traditional" Russian peasants and
                        > neighboring period cultures. So tweak away!
                        >
                        > At your service,
                        >
                        > Sofya

                        > http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser <http://www.strangelove.net/%7Ekieser>
                        > "Nasytivshimsya knizhnoj sladosti."

                      • Quokkaqueen
                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 16, 2010
                          There is a modified pattern, based on the Historiska Museet pattern, that is more fabric efficient:
                          http://www.goldenoakinn.com/pdf/viking_pants.pdf
                          http://www.goldenoakinn.com/pdf/viking_pants_paper.pdf
                          (It is very loosely based on the pants fragments from Heddeby, but the original pattern comes from a Swedish website, just to be confusing. There is a photo of the original fragments in "From Viking to Crusader".)

                          But it terms of the very simple pants with square gusset, you didn't do anything wrong by making the square smaller. If anything, you discovered the 'trick' yourself for making them fit comfortably.

                          From the Northern Caucasus, there are miniature 'doll' clothes, and female short pants that have a smaller gusset.
                          eg. http://www.hermitagemuseum.org/html_En/08/hm88_0_0_20_1.html
                          I've made pairs to wear like boxer shorts underneath my dresses, and the gusset only is as low as mid-thigh, and it is still very comfortable.

                          And not Slavic at all, but another medieval example of this style of pants is from 14th century Nubia:
                          http://www.feoragdubh.eastkingdom.org/Nutshell_2004-05/nab_bishop_pants_tunic.htm

                          Really, as long as the gusset is large enough that you have the full range of movement, but not so big that you think you look silly, you are probably doing it right. :)

                          ~Asfridhr

                          --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Jennifer Nelson Kemp <lady.ianuk@...> wrote:

                          > I've translated and put in a "how to" of the "poofy" pants from the Danish
                          > reenactors. You can see them at my website http://web.mac.com/ianuk
                          >
                          > Ianuk
                        • Lisa Kies
                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 9, 2010
                            Greetings from Sofya

                            On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 1:08 AM, Jeanne <bettybetravellin@...> wrote:

                            > Do you know if there is a Slavic area like there was at Pennsic a couple
                            > years ago? Do we need to arrange to find teaching space for classes and
                            > dance? Or does someone have space in their camp area to do an informal
                            > class?
                            >
                            > Juliana (Jeanne)

                            I'm bringing a battery-operated CD player. Did you have any luck getting on
                            the schedule for the dance area or did you want to keep this informal and do
                            it in someone's camp? I'll be camped with Calontir, and I'm sure we could
                            find room somewhere.

                            Oh, and I'll be teaching a couple of sessions of "Russian Roulette" -
                            whoever shows up gets to pick which of nine possible Russian classes I'll
                            teach. (I know, it should be six "shots", but... ;-)

                            Sofya

                            Mason City, IA aka Shire of Heraldshill,
                            Calontir ___
                            http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
                            {o,o}
                            (__(|
                            "Nasytivshimsya knizhnoj sladosti."
                            -^-^-`
                          • Jeanne
                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 9, 2010
                              Good thing I checked email before leaving.  I nearly forgot the music!

                              I thought I would just wing it for the dance classes.  I was in  car accident last May, and have a back injury, so it will depend on how I am feeling.  Also, I am on ret with our King and Queen, and I don't know what their schedule is yet.

                              I am arriving Wed afternoon, so once I get settled in and find out what's up, I will try to wander over and find you and we can figure something out!

                              Juliana
                              (Jeanne)

                              ________________________________

                              Message 14 of 15 , Mar 9, 2010
                                Which crown?

                                On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 7:23 PM, Jeanne <bettybetravellin@...> wrote:

                                > Also, I am on ret with our King and Queen, and I don't know what their
                                > schedule is yet.

                                Sofya

                              • Jeanne
                                Message 15 of 15 , Mar 9, 2010
                                  An Tir:  BC, Allberta, Washington, Oregon, and parts of Idaho, I believe

                                  Juliana

                                  > Also, I am on ret with our King and Queen, and I don't know what their
                                  > schedule is yet.

                                  Sofya