Re: panova?

  • MHoll@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 3, 2000
      In a message dated 1/3/2000 9:50:38 PM Central Standard Time,
      jdmiller2@... writes:

      > And who ever said that Russian
      > clothing is too warm? Don't these outfits look like just the thing on a
      > hot summer day?

      Remember that most of Russia has a continental climate: as hot as down here
      in south Texas (just not for as long), and as cold as Alaska in the winter
      (but not as long, either). You bet they'd have comfortable clothing!

      > I have found it wise to be wary of the drawings in this book, however. The
      > clothing pictures aren't drawn very accurately. <...>

      And I'm shocked that the "middle-aged woman" is showing some of her hair! How
      rude and improper! A married woman, shining her hair! ;-)

      Seriously, considering the heavy fines imposable on someone who pulls a
      married woman's headdress off and reveals her hair, it's unlikely, really,
      really unlikely, that a married woman would not wear a cap and/or veil (or
      something) to hide her hair *completely*. Apart from that...

      I do share Yana's skepticism about the panova, although I'd conceived the
      idea that it was a garment more common in early period, later fallen into
      disuse by the nobility, and finally relegated to country clothing. It may
      have been a ritual piece of clothing, but that's just a vague idea.

      Especially since the conjectural ritual is not described anywhere, except for
      a cryptic image on a silver bracelet.

      Predslava Vydrina
      Per fess embattled azure and gules, two otters passant or.
      <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/Predslava/RussianHistoryTriviaPage.html">Russ
      ian History Trivia Page</A>
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 3, 2000
        In a message dated 1/3/2000 10:20:09 PM Central Standard Time,
        tasha_medved@... writes:

        > I seem to remember reading that in early
        > period it was acceptable to wear just a belted
        > rubakha, but I simply can't bring myself to do so...
        > it feels too much like running around in my underwear.

        And right you are! To describe the terrible destruction and dishonor
        inflicted on a city, the Chronicles note that the residents were stripped
        "even to their shirts". So no, a woman would not be going around in her
        undershirt. Men, working in fields on on some other hot, sweaty task, yes,
        but a woman would not be walking around in her underwear.

        The question arises, of course, of what exactly constituted underwear, and
        what would do for upper? outer?wear in the summer. Were there undertunics
        under the tunics, so one could strip to the tunic, and yet not the
        undertunic? Were there lightweight jackets or something, or would linen over
        linen (tunic and overtunic) be cool enough?

        But in undershirts? Really! How shocking! :-)

        Predslava.
      • Patricia Hefner
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 3, 2000
          > Guess who got a scanner for Christmas? :) Here's a picture of a panova
          or
          > two, at least, I think they are panovas. I scanned this in from
          > Arkheologia: Byt i kul'tura. More pics, and Russian choir music, to come
          > a web site near you!
          >
          > http://www.geocities.com/~chrstnj/sca/panova.jpg

          Oh, I love this picture! To heck with "is it authentic" on a Meridian day
          when it's 98 degrees in the shade and the heat index is 120. I'm planning to
          paint this even though I've read that they block-printed the things. I'd
          hate to nuke my hand with a block-cutter. Putting up with sprained ankles
          from dance is injury enough, thank you very much.

          Dekuji!
          Isabelle patricia.hefner@...
        • Jenn/Yana
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 4, 2000
            Isabelle wrote:

            >I'm planning to
            >paint this even though I've read that they block-printed the things. I'd
            >hate to nuke my hand with a block-cutter.

            I'll share an easy and cheap way to print on fabric that I learned in a
            fibers and fabrics class that is just right for doing simple geometric
            designs on fabric, paper and whatever else you feel like printing. Get a
            block of 1/2" thick (or so) wood the size of your design. Take old, used
            *bicycle inner tubes* (thin black rubber) and cut your design out of them.
            Glue to the wood. You now have a durable printing block. You can use
            scissors or an exacto blade to cut the rubber, no need for special tools.
            Print using your favorite dyes/paints. I've only ever used t-shirt paint,
            but my teacher said she had used other substances to varying degrees of
            success. Test it on a sample piece of cloth first, wash and dry and see if
            you like the way it holds up.

            --Yana
          • Diane S. Sawyer
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 4, 2000
              --- Jenn/Yana <jdmiller2@...> wrote:
              > From: Jenn/Yana <jdmiller2@...>
              >
              > Isabelle wrote:
              >
              > >I'm planning to
              > >paint this even though I've read that they
              > block-printed the things. I'd
              > >hate to nuke my hand with a block-cutter.
              >
              > I'll share an easy and cheap way to print on fabric
              > that I learned in a
              > fibers and fabrics class that is just right for
              > doing simple geometric
              > designs on fabric, paper and whatever else you feel
              > like printing. Get a
              > block of 1/2" thick (or so) wood the size of your
              > design. Take old, used
              > *bicycle inner tubes* (thin black rubber) and cut
              > your design out of them.
              > Glue to the wood. You now have a durable printing
              > block. You can use
              > scissors or an exacto blade to cut the rubber, no
              > need for special tools.
              > Print using your favorite dyes/paints. I've only
              > ever used t-shirt paint,
              > but my teacher said she had used other substances to
              > varying degrees of
              > success. Test it on a sample piece of cloth first,
              > wash and dry and see if
              > you like the way it holds up.
              >
              > --Yana

              Oh, excellent! Thanks for sharing!

              I use Delta Ceramcoat acrylic paint. It comes in a
              bazillion colors (I counted!), including gold and
              silver, and it cleans up quickly. I would recommend
              using a foam roller (look in the stenciling section of
              the craft store) instead of dipping the stamp in the
              paint; dipping makes it goopy. If you can't find a
              roller, use a foam brush to load the stamp.

              There are some foam stamps in the craft stores that
              might work for your purposes, BTW, both open cell and
              closed cell foam. The open cell foam takes a boatload
              of paint to load it, just so you know.

              Post pics when you get it done? Pretty please?

              Tasha
              http://messenger.yahoo.com