Re: [sig] Russian vacation

  • bphall76@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 25, 2010
      My husband and I did a group tour several years ago and it was ...okay. Not enough time in the museums or the bookstores and so forth. We did the tour thing because neither of us speak Russian at all well. If you speak Russian or are going with someone who does, this isn't as much of an issue. If you were to go with a tour company, I'd recommend Mir Corp out of Seattle, WA. They specialize in Russia and the Caucasus, tho' they have tours along most of the Silk Road. You can also build a custom tour with them. They are, however pricier than, say, Cosmos/Globus (this is the company we went with).

      For places to go other than St Petersburg and Moscow, I'd suggest Novgorod. It can be done as a day trip from St. Petersburg if you want. Check museum times so that you are sure they'll be open the time you'll be there. (I have a picture of the sign that said 'closed' on the only day we were there). There are also cities in the Golden Ring near Moscow, much coolness from pictures I've seen but we missed everything except Sergiev Posad as they were not on the tour.

      Oh, make sure you have two consecutive, empty pages in your passport (if coming from the US). You'll need them both.

      Other than that, there is a lot of travel info on the web.

      Hope this helps
      Vasilisa Myshkina
      Glymm Mere, An Tir