Re: [sig] Kvas? Kvass?

  • Anthony Bryant
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 6, 2010
      On Jan 6, 2010, at 3:51 PM, Patoodle@... wrote:

      > I was wondering if anybody here has ever made kvas (sometimes
      > spelled kvass)?

      When I was at the seminary, some of the more...um... adventurous
      bretheren from Ukraine and Holy Mother Russia were making kvas in
      their dorm rooms. It was SPECTACULAR.

      There are several brands (a favorite is Monasterskaya) of bottled and
      mass-produced "soft drink-ized" kvas that can be brought from Russian
      delicatessans and grocery stores (like the one near where I lived in
      Herndon). It's pretty good, but it really is a straight softdrink, not
      the real hard stuff.

      I really should break down and make my own.

      Effingham
    • calvin_w_renn
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 11, 2010
        The Honorable Company of Fermenters and Brewers of Barony of Concordia of the Snows brewed a batch of kvass using one of the recipes from the Carolingian site that used dry rye bread. It turned out well. It was refreshing, but not something that I would drink on a regular basis.

        Regards,

        Pan Mikulaj von Meissen