Re: [sig] Kvas? Kvass?

  • Brandon J. Snowder
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 6, 2010
      I tried some once on a trip to Russia. I still wake up at night screaming.

      Sounds like you did it just about right.

      In accordance with prophecy,
      Brandon J. Snowder/Mikhail Voronov

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 6, 2010
        On Jan 6, 2010, at 3:51 PM, Patoodle@... wrote:

        > I was wondering if anybody here has ever made kvas (sometimes
        > spelled kvass)?

        When I was at the seminary, some of the more...um... adventurous
        bretheren from Ukraine and Holy Mother Russia were making kvas in
        their dorm rooms. It was SPECTACULAR.

        There are several brands (a favorite is Monasterskaya) of bottled and
        mass-produced "soft drink-ized" kvas that can be brought from Russian
        delicatessans and grocery stores (like the one near where I lived in
        Herndon). It's pretty good, but it really is a straight softdrink, not
        the real hard stuff.

        I really should break down and make my own.

        Effingham
      • calvin_w_renn
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 11, 2010
          The Honorable Company of Fermenters and Brewers of Barony of Concordia of the Snows brewed a batch of kvass using one of the recipes from the Carolingian site that used dry rye bread. It turned out well. It was refreshing, but not something that I would drink on a regular basis.

          Regards,

          Pan Mikulaj von Meissen