Re: panova?

  • Christine Jacobs
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 3, 2000
      Guess who got a scanner for Christmas? :) Here's a picture of a panova or
      two, at least, I think they are panovas. I scanned this in from
      Arkheologia: Byt i kul'tura. More pics, and Russian choir music, to come to
      a web site near you!

      http://www.geocities.com/~chrstnj/sca/panova.jpg

      Am I right? Are these panovas?

      Kseniia Smol'nyanina mka: Christine Jacobs
      of Mountain Freehold chrstnj@...
      <http://www.geocities.com/~chrstnj>
      http://messenger.yahoo.com
    • BanAvtai@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 3, 2000
        In a message dated 01/03/2000 9:02:23 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        chrstnj@... writes:

        << Guess who got a scanner for Christmas? >>

        I'm horribly jealous! ::Sniffle::

        Yana, if I see you at Pennsic my ear is yours for as long as you rattle on.
        :-D

        Iu'liana
      • Jenn/Yana
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 3, 2000
          >Guess who got a scanner for Christmas? :)

          Fun, aren't they? :)

          >http://www.geocities.com/~chrstnj/sca/panova.jpg
          >
          >Am I right? Are these panovas?

          Yep, the two on the left are. I'm not sure what the one on the right is,
          it looks like she may be wearing two shirts, one over the other. The
          outfit on the left is for "middle-aged women", the middle is for "youths"
          and the right one is for "girls". Note how the shirts only come down to
          the ankles or slightly higher. Predslava talks about this a bit in her
          article on women's clothing on her webpage. And who ever said that Russian
          clothing is too warm? Don't these outfits look like just the thing on a
          hot summer day?

          I have found it wise to be wary of the drawings in this book, however. The
          clothing pictures aren't drawn very accurately. Seams have a way of
          disappearing and such. Still, it is my current favorite book for Russian
          stuff. The jewelry and other drawings are excellent.

          --Yana
        • Diane S. Sawyer
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 3, 2000
            --- Jenn/Yana <jdmiller2@...> wrote:
            > From: Jenn/Yana <jdmiller2@...>

            {snip}

            > >Am I right? Are these panovas?

            {snip}
            > And who
            > ever said that Russian
            > clothing is too warm? Don't these outfits look like
            > just the thing on a
            > hot summer day?

            {snip}

            > --Yana

            Oh, yes... linen rubakha, linen panova... very cool
            and comfy. Linen is THE summer fabric, as far as I'm
            concerned. I seem to remember reading that in early
            period it was acceptable to wear just a belted
            rubakha, but I simply can't bring myself to do so...
            it feels too much like running around in my underwear.

            Tasha
            http://messenger.yahoo.com
          • MHoll@xxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 3, 2000
              In a message dated 1/3/2000 9:50:38 PM Central Standard Time,
              jdmiller2@... writes:

              > And who ever said that Russian
              > clothing is too warm? Don't these outfits look like just the thing on a
              > hot summer day?

              Remember that most of Russia has a continental climate: as hot as down here
              in south Texas (just not for as long), and as cold as Alaska in the winter
              (but not as long, either). You bet they'd have comfortable clothing!

              > I have found it wise to be wary of the drawings in this book, however. The
              > clothing pictures aren't drawn very accurately. <...>

              And I'm shocked that the "middle-aged woman" is showing some of her hair! How
              rude and improper! A married woman, shining her hair! ;-)

              Seriously, considering the heavy fines imposable on someone who pulls a
              married woman's headdress off and reveals her hair, it's unlikely, really,
              really unlikely, that a married woman would not wear a cap and/or veil (or
              something) to hide her hair *completely*. Apart from that...

              I do share Yana's skepticism about the panova, although I'd conceived the
              idea that it was a garment more common in early period, later fallen into
              disuse by the nobility, and finally relegated to country clothing. It may
              have been a ritual piece of clothing, but that's just a vague idea.

              Especially since the conjectural ritual is not described anywhere, except for
              a cryptic image on a silver bracelet.

              Predslava Vydrina
              Per fess embattled azure and gules, two otters passant or.
              <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/Predslava/RussianHistoryTriviaPage.html">Russ
              ian History Trivia Page</A>
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 3, 2000
                In a message dated 1/3/2000 10:20:09 PM Central Standard Time,
                tasha_medved@... writes:

                > I seem to remember reading that in early
                > period it was acceptable to wear just a belted
                > rubakha, but I simply can't bring myself to do so...
                > it feels too much like running around in my underwear.

                And right you are! To describe the terrible destruction and dishonor
                inflicted on a city, the Chronicles note that the residents were stripped
                "even to their shirts". So no, a woman would not be going around in her
                undershirt. Men, working in fields on on some other hot, sweaty task, yes,
                but a woman would not be walking around in her underwear.

                The question arises, of course, of what exactly constituted underwear, and
                what would do for upper? outer?wear in the summer. Were there undertunics
                under the tunics, so one could strip to the tunic, and yet not the
                undertunic? Were there lightweight jackets or something, or would linen over
                linen (tunic and overtunic) be cool enough?

                But in undershirts? Really! How shocking! :-)

                Predslava.
              • Patricia Hefner
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 3, 2000
                  > Guess who got a scanner for Christmas? :) Here's a picture of a panova
                  or
                  > two, at least, I think they are panovas. I scanned this in from
                  > Arkheologia: Byt i kul'tura. More pics, and Russian choir music, to come
                  > a web site near you!
                  >
                  > http://www.geocities.com/~chrstnj/sca/panova.jpg

                  Oh, I love this picture! To heck with "is it authentic" on a Meridian day
                  when it's 98 degrees in the shade and the heat index is 120. I'm planning to
                  paint this even though I've read that they block-printed the things. I'd
                  hate to nuke my hand with a block-cutter. Putting up with sprained ankles
                  from dance is injury enough, thank you very much.

                  Dekuji!
                  Isabelle patricia.hefner@...
                • Jenn/Yana
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 4, 2000
                    Isabelle wrote:

                    >I'm planning to
                    >paint this even though I've read that they block-printed the things. I'd
                    >hate to nuke my hand with a block-cutter.

                    I'll share an easy and cheap way to print on fabric that I learned in a
                    fibers and fabrics class that is just right for doing simple geometric
                    designs on fabric, paper and whatever else you feel like printing. Get a
                    block of 1/2" thick (or so) wood the size of your design. Take old, used
                    *bicycle inner tubes* (thin black rubber) and cut your design out of them.
                    Glue to the wood. You now have a durable printing block. You can use
                    scissors or an exacto blade to cut the rubber, no need for special tools.
                    Print using your favorite dyes/paints. I've only ever used t-shirt paint,
                    but my teacher said she had used other substances to varying degrees of
                    success. Test it on a sample piece of cloth first, wash and dry and see if
                    you like the way it holds up.

                    --Yana
                  • Diane S. Sawyer
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 4, 2000
                      --- Jenn/Yana <jdmiller2@...> wrote:
                      > From: Jenn/Yana <jdmiller2@...>
                      >
                      > Isabelle wrote:
                      >
                      > >I'm planning to
                      > >paint this even though I've read that they
                      > block-printed the things. I'd
                      > >hate to nuke my hand with a block-cutter.
                      >
                      > I'll share an easy and cheap way to print on fabric
                      > that I learned in a
                      > fibers and fabrics class that is just right for
                      > doing simple geometric
                      > designs on fabric, paper and whatever else you feel
                      > like printing. Get a
                      > block of 1/2" thick (or so) wood the size of your
                      > design. Take old, used
                      > *bicycle inner tubes* (thin black rubber) and cut
                      > your design out of them.
                      > Glue to the wood. You now have a durable printing
                      > block. You can use
                      > scissors or an exacto blade to cut the rubber, no
                      > need for special tools.
                      > Print using your favorite dyes/paints. I've only
                      > ever used t-shirt paint,
                      > but my teacher said she had used other substances to
                      > varying degrees of
                      > success. Test it on a sample piece of cloth first,
                      > wash and dry and see if
                      > you like the way it holds up.
                      >
                      > --Yana

                      Oh, excellent! Thanks for sharing!

                      I use Delta Ceramcoat acrylic paint. It comes in a
                      bazillion colors (I counted!), including gold and
                      silver, and it cleans up quickly. I would recommend
                      using a foam roller (look in the stenciling section of
                      the craft store) instead of dipping the stamp in the
                      paint; dipping makes it goopy. If you can't find a
                      roller, use a foam brush to load the stamp.

                      There are some foam stamps in the craft stores that
                      might work for your purposes, BTW, both open cell and
                      closed cell foam. The open cell foam takes a boatload
                      of paint to load it, just so you know.

                      Post pics when you get it done? Pretty please?

                      Tasha
                      http://messenger.yahoo.com