Re: [sig] Kvas? Kvass?

  • Yevgeniya Pechenaya
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 6, 2010
      Here is what i know as far as the basic recipe that i grew up with. Domostroi might be slightly different I'll check when i get home.

      1kg or rye bread
      200g sugar
      50g or yeast (i'm pretty sure it's bread yeast the dry kind)
      6 liter of water (5liters for soaking the croutons / 1 liter for diluting the yeast)
      50g raisins

      cut the bread into croutons and dry/bake in an oven until dry and hard
      break up the croutons into smaller pieces and poor the 5 liters of boiling water over them.
      in 6-8 hrs drain the liquid it should be clear with a light brown tint
      add sugar and diluted yeast
      do all of this is a large sized pot kinda like you do with mead
      keep covered in the large pot for the first 12 hrs
      then put into bottles add 3-4 raisins to each bottle and close tightly
      keep in a warm spot 1st 24 hrs
      then move to a cold place
      Tastes best on the 4th day

      Lada

      Oooooh...
      SHINY!

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 6, 2010
        I actually really like the kvass I have made (only done it a couple of
        times though.) I used Sandor Katz' recipe from the book Wild
        Fermentation http://www.amazon.com/Wild-Fermentation-Flavor-Nutrition-Live-Culture/dp/1931498237/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262815808&sr=8-1
        Not a redaction of a traditional recipe per se, but I've liked all my
        other ferments I've made from his instructions so I went with his
        recipe.

        "Ingredients for 1/2 gallon

        1 1/2 pounds stale bread (traditionally hearty Russian black bread,
        made of coarsely ground whole-grain rye and/or barley, but any bread
        will do, and it doesn't have to be stale)
        3 T crushed dried mint
        1 lemon juiced
        1/4 cup honey
        1/4 tsp sea salt
        1/4 cup sourdough (or one package yeast)
        a few raisins

        Process:
        1. Cut bread into cubes and toast in an oven pre-heated to 300 F for
        about 20 minutes until dry
        2. Place cubes in a crock or wide mouthed jar, with the mint, lemon
        juice, and 12 cups boiling water. Stir, cover, and leave for 8 hours
        (or longer)
        3. Strain out the solids, pressing out as much liquid as possible.
        The soggy bread will retain some water, so you will end up with less
        liquid then you started with.
        4. Add honey, salt, and sourdough to the strained liquid, and leave to
        ferment 2 to 3 days.
        5. Transfer kvass to quart bottles only about 3/4 full. Add a few
        raisins to each bottle and seal. Leave the bottles at room
        temperature for a day or two, until the raisins float to the top.
        Kvass is then ready to drink, and may be stored in the refrigerator
        for a few weeks."

        I really like the stuff, but then I do a lot of fermented foods. We
        drink kombucha pretty regularly, in addition to always having a few
        types of pickles and mead going pretty constantly. The sourness can
        be an acquired taste for a lot of people.
      • Brandon J. Snowder
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 6, 2010
          I tried some once on a trip to Russia. I still wake up at night screaming.

          Sounds like you did it just about right.

          In accordance with prophecy,
          Brandon J. Snowder/Mikhail Voronov

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 6, 2010
            On Jan 6, 2010, at 3:51 PM, Patoodle@... wrote:

            > I was wondering if anybody here has ever made kvas (sometimes
            > spelled kvass)?

            When I was at the seminary, some of the more...um... adventurous
            bretheren from Ukraine and Holy Mother Russia were making kvas in
            their dorm rooms. It was SPECTACULAR.

            There are several brands (a favorite is Monasterskaya) of bottled and
            mass-produced "soft drink-ized" kvas that can be brought from Russian
            delicatessans and grocery stores (like the one near where I lived in
            Herndon). It's pretty good, but it really is a straight softdrink, not
            the real hard stuff.

            I really should break down and make my own.

            Effingham
          • calvin_w_renn
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 11, 2010
              The Honorable Company of Fermenters and Brewers of Barony of Concordia of the Snows brewed a batch of kvass using one of the recipes from the Carolingian site that used dry rye bread. It turned out well. It was refreshing, but not something that I would drink on a regular basis.

              Regards,

              Pan Mikulaj von Meissen