Re: [sig] Medieval Rus' fealty/homage scrolls

  • jpkowal@mts.net
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 28, 2009
      Greetings;

      I am unaware of an example of any 10th c Kiev-Rus Fealty Oaths. There is an example of a 10th c Anglo-Saxon Fealty Oath I could forward to You.

      There is a description of an oath of Treaty between the Slavs and the Byzantines from much earlier that would have involved some of the pre-christian god/s.

      But I will dig around my library and see what else I can come up with.
      cheers,
      AVL

      > From: Sam W <wootduosmaster@...>
      > Date: 2009/12/27 Sun PM 10:25:16 CST
      > To: sig@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: [sig] Medieval Rus' fealty/homage scrolls
      >
      > Hi all,
      >
      > I'm required to submit a token/scroll of fealty to my incoming King and
      > Queen in January and I would like to word the text along the lines of what
      > someone during my chosen time period would have (10th-11thC Novgorod/Rus').
      > Can anyone suggest how I could word this in a Russian Style?
      >
      > I have already flicked through the scroll pages on Sofya's website, but
      > couldn't really find anything that would work for SCA fealty.
      >
      > Thanks all,
      >
      > ~Kotek Torzhokskoi
      > Chevronelly inverted, gules and Or
      > Chirurgeon, Lochac
      > Southron Gaard, Lochac

    • charles stefanich
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 28, 2009
        I would like to see the treaty language, even if its not that big a help with this question. We are ever so slowly building a Slavic community here in our barony and can always use any bit of information.
        Istvan

        I am unaware of an example of any 10th c Kiev-Rus Fealty Oaths. There is an example of a 10th c Anglo-Saxon Fealty Oath I could forward to You.

        There is a description of an oath of Treaty between the Slavs and the Byzantines from much earlier that would have involved some of the pre-christian god/s.

        But I will dig around my library and see what else I can come up with.
        cheers,
        AVL

        > From: Sam W <wootduosmaster@ gmail.com>
        > Date: 2009/12/27 Sun PM 10:25:16 CST
        > To: sig@yahoogroups. com
        > Subject: [sig] Medieval Rus' fealty/homage scrolls
        >
        > Hi all,
        >
        > I'm required to submit a token/scroll of fealty to my incoming King and
        > Queen in January and I would like to word the text along the lines of what
        > someone during my chosen time period would have (10th-11thC Novgorod/Rus' ).
        > Can anyone suggest how I could word this in a Russian Style?
        >
        > I have already flicked through the scroll pages on Sofya's website, but
        > couldn't really find anything that would work for SCA fealty.
        >
        > Thanks all,
        >
        > ~Kotek Torzhokskoi
        > Chevronelly inverted, gules and Or
        > Chirurgeon, Lochac
        > Southron Gaard, Lochac

      • Yevgeniya Pechenaya
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 28, 2009
          As far as treaty's you can look at the early treaties between the Byzanthium and Rus. It is mostly a list of laws and regulations. There are also the laws that Yaroslav put in effect during his rule. I have the texts in Russian. I'll see if i can find something in English.

          Lada

          Oooooh...
          SHINY!

          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 28, 2009
            There are a few passages that are oath-like in the second half of the Russian Primary Chronicle. I can see if I can dig them up for you this evening.

            --Sfandra

            ******************
            Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
            KOE, OM, Haus VDK, East Kingdom
            http://sfandra.webs.com
            ******************
            Never 'pearl' your butt.
            "Ja mogu sdelat' to."
            ******************

            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 28, 2009
              You should have heard Safya la Rus's feaalty/homage oath, enough painful maladies for breaking it to make the hardest core hypochondriac go into a coma with delight!

              Best Regards,
              'dok

              ************ ******
              Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
              KOE, OM, Haus VDK, East Kingdom
              http://sfandra. webs.com
              ************ ******
              Never 'pearl' your butt.
              "Ja mogu sdelat' to."
              ************ ******

              > the early treaties between the Byzanthium and Rus. It is
              > mostly a list of laws and regulations. There are also the
              > laws that Yaroslav put in effect during his rule. I have the
              > texts in Russian. I'll see if i can find something in
              > English.
              >
              > Lada
              >
              > Oooooh...
              > SHINY!
              >
              > --- On Mon, 12/28/09, jpkowal@mts. net
              > <jpkowal@mts. net>
              > wrote:
              >
              > From: jpkowal@mts. net
              > <jpkowal@mts. net>
              > Subject: Re: [sig] Medieval Rus' fealty/homage scrolls
              > To: sig@yahoogroups. com
              > Date: Monday, December 28, 2009, 4:11 PM

              >       Greetings;
              >

              > I am unaware of an example of any 10th c Kiev-Rus Fealty
              > Oaths. There is an example of a 10th c Anglo-Saxon Fealty
              > Oath I could forward to You.
              >

              > There is a description of an oath of Treaty between the
              > Slavs and the Byzantines from much earlier that would have
              > involved some of the pre-christian god/s.
              >

              > But I will dig around my library and see what else I can
              > come up with.
              >
              > cheers,
              >
              > AVL
              >

              > > From: Sam W <wootduosmaster@ gmail.com>
              >
              > > Date: 2009/12/27 Sun PM 10:25:16 CST
              >
              > > To: sig@yahoogroups. com
              >
              > > Subject: [sig] Medieval Rus' fealty/homage scrolls
              >

              > > Hi all,
              >

              > > I'm required to submit a token/scroll of fealty to my
              > incoming King and
              >
              > > Queen in January and I would like to word the text
              > along the lines of what
              >
              > > someone during my chosen time period would have
              > (10th-11thC Novgorod/Rus' ).
              >
              > > Can anyone suggest how I could word this in a Russian
              > Style?
              >

              > > I have already flicked through the scroll pages on
              > Sofya's website, but
              >
              > > couldn't really find anything that would work for SCA
              > fealty.
              >

              > > Thanks all,
              >

              > > ~Kotek Torzhokskoi
              >
              > > Chevronelly inverted, gules and Or
              >
              > > Chirurgeon, Lochac
              >
              > > Southron Gaard, Lochac

              >     sig-fullfeatured@ yahoogroups. com

            • Lisa Kies
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 28, 2009
                Greetings from Sofya!
                On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 4:55 PM, Tim Nalley <mordakus@...> wrote:

                > You should have heard Safya la Rus's feaalty/homage oath, enough painful
                > maladies for breaking it to make the hardest core hypochondriac go into a
                > coma with delight!
                >
                > Best Regards,
                > 'dok
                > "Dreams are only the realities of yesterday waiting to happen"

                Yeah, the mildly uncomfortable chuckles from the audience were great. And,
                thanks to my husband and his new toy, you can actually follow Mordak's
                advice hear it on YouTube for yourself. ;-)

                Anyway, you've hit on a topic near and dear to my heart. My best attempt at
                a period Russian-style Calontiri Laurel fealty oath was my oath of fealty at
                my elevation:

                So I, Sofya la Rus, yesm' beat my brow to the one right Sovereign and keeper
                of the Calon land and to Lord Calontir the Great to serve them throughout my
                life.

                And my good to the Society and its ideals and laws to want of nothing; and
                wherever from whomever I will hear of good or of evil of my Sovereign, and
                about our Kingdom of Calontir of good or of evil, it is for me to speak for
                them truthfully, by this my sealed certificate, without duplicity.

                I will according to time teach whoever is capable to whatever skill God
                gives them to thrive, to support the Arts and Sciences of the Calontir
                lands,

                And by this my certificate if to think or to consider or to be evil or
                unworthy before the people then will not be on me the favor of God and of
                his ascended Mother, and of all Saints; and my Lord and Sovereign must to me
                for my fault in punishment be unrestricted.

                And with firmness of action, I, Sofya la Rus, to my Ospadaryu Velikii Knyaz
                Martino and Velikaya Knyaginya Ariel kiss esmi the honest and life-giving
                cross, and give esmi myself with my certificate after signature and after
                seal of the clerk of all Calontir.

                http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Medieval/laurel.html

                Here's where I got a lot of the wording - there's some nice bits about
                promising not to leave and such:
                http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/scrolloaths.html

                I also prepared a Russian translation of a 10th century Anglo-Saxon fealty
                oath for someone's Squiring.

                By the CROWN before whom these lands are held. I Lord Kallimakh Kasek do
                give my OATH OF FEALTY, to you SYR .

                ������� � ������� ��� ����� ��������,

                By the CROWN by whom these lands are held,

                �� �� ��������� �������� �����,

                So I Lord Kallimakh Kasek

                ��� ��� ������� �������� � ��� �������* *���������.

                do give my OATH OF FEALTY to you, SYR EVANDER

                I will be true and faithful and love all which you love and shun all which
                you may shun, according to the laws of the Crown and the order of these
                lands.

                � ���� �������� � ������

                I will be true and faithful

                � ���� ������ ��� ������� �� ������

                And will love all that you love

                � ���� ����������� ����� �������� �� �����������,

                and will shun/avoid all that you shun/avoid,

                [� ���� ���������� ��� ������� �� ����������,]

                [Alternately: and will hate all that you hate,]

                �������� ������� ������ � ������ ���� ������.

                according to the laws of the Crown and the order of these lands.

                Nor will I ever with will or action through word or deed do anything which
                is unpleasing to you on condition that you will hold to me as I shall
                deserve it.

                [Alternate version: and never, willingly or intentionally, by word or by
                work, do aught of what is loathful to him; on condition that he will keep me
                as I am willing to deserve...]

                � � �������, ������ ��� ���������

                Nor will I ever, willingly or intentionally

                ������ ��� �����

                by word or deed

                �� ������ ������ ����������� ��� ����

                do anything which is unpleasing to you

                ��� ������� ��� �� ������ ������� ���� �� ��������.

                on condition that you will hold me as I shall deserve.

                I pledge to seek and accept your COUNSEL when given and if I may offer my
                COUNSEL in turn.

                � ���������� ������ � ��������� ���� ����� ����� ���

                I pledge to seek and heed/listen to your COUNSEL when given

                � � ��� �� ���������� ��� ����� �� �������.

                and, if I may, offer my COUNSEL in turn.

                ��������� means to accept/receive/. A soldier who receives an order says "
                ������" as in "Very well" or "I understand" i.e. the Russian equivalent of
                "Roger, Willco".

                My SWORD is yours to command and will always be at your side till I die.

                ��� ��� ���� ����� ���������

                My SWORD is yours to direct

                � ������ ���� ������ ����� � ����� �� ������.

                and always I will stand with you till death.

                This I swear my OATH OF FEALTY to you.

                ��� � ����� ��� ������� �������� � ���.

                Thus I swear my OATH OF FEALTY to you

                Corrections to the Russian translation welcome, as I am not a native
                speaker.

                At your service,

                Sofya

                http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
                "Nasytivshimsya knizhnoj sladosti."
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 29, 2009
                  Greetings;

                  The Below Anglo-Saxon Oath is the one I was referring to and is rendered below. I used a good portion of it during after my Peerage Ceremony to swear fealty.
                  AVL

                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 29, 2009
                    Thanks :D

                    I mashed something together that looks plausable ^_^

                    ~Kotek

                    2009/12/30 <jpkowal@...>

> [...]
                    > of
                    >
                    > > "Roger, Willco".
                    > >

                    > > My SWORD is yours to command and will always be at your side till I die.
                    > >
                    > > ��� ��� ���� ����� ���������
                    >

                    > > My SWORD is yours to direct
                    > >
                    > > � ������ ���� ������ ����� � ����� �� ������.
                    >

                    > > and always I will stand with you till death.
                    > >

                    > > This I swear my OATH OF FEALTY to you.
                    > >
                    > > ��� � ����� ��� ������� �������� � ���.
                    >

                    > > Thus I swear my OATH OF FEALTY to you
                    > >
                    > > Corrections to the Russian translation welcome, as I am not a native
                    > > speaker.
                    > >
                    > > At your service,
                    > >
                    > > Sofya

                    > > Lisa M. Kies, MD aka Sofya la Rus, OL, CW, CSH, druzhinnitsa Kramolnikova
                    > > Mason City, IA aka Shire of Heraldshill, Calontir
                    > > http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser<http://www.strangelove.net/%7Ekieser>
                    > > "Si no necare, sana." "Mir znachit Pax Romanov"

                  • Nikulai Ivanovich
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 17, 2010
                      Digging through the archives and found the thread below... question does
                      anyone have any examples of apprenticeship contracts? Going to be taking a
                      new protege soon and we would like to do a contract.

                      Thanks!
                      - N

                      On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 10:32 PM, Lisa Kies <lkies319@...> wrote:

> [...]
                      > COUNSEL in turn.
                      >
                      > � ���������� ������ � ��������� ���� ����� ����� ���
                      >
                      > I pledge to seek and heed/listen to your COUNSEL when given
                      >
                      > � � ��� �� ���������� ��� ����� �� �������.
                      >
                      > and, if I may, offer my COUNSEL in turn.
                      >
                      > ��������� means to accept/receive/. A soldier who receives an order says "
                      > ������" as in "Very well" or "I understand" i.e. the Russian equivalent of
                      > "Roger, Willco".
                      >

                      > My SWORD is yours to command and will always be at your side till I die.
                      >
                      > ��� ��� ���� ����� ���������
                      >
                      > My SWORD is yours to direct
                      >
                      > � ������ ���� ������ ����� � ����� �� ������.
                      >
                      > and always I will stand with you till death.
                      >

                      > This I swear my OATH OF FEALTY to you.
                      >
                      > ��� � ����� ��� ������� �������� � ���.
                      >
                      > Thus I swear my OATH OF FEALTY to you
                      >
                      > Corrections to the Russian translation welcome, as I am not a native

                      Master Nikulai Ivanovich, OP
                      Or, on a bend cotised sable three fox masks palewise or
                      http://www.atlow.org

                    • Lisa Kies
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 24, 2010
                        I haven't found any period Russian apprenticeship contracts. The closest is
                        the "fealty" certificates of some old appanage princes to the Moscow grand
                        prince.

                        Scroll down to the 1474 pledge/charge records here:
                        http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/scrollsources.html

                        Sofya

                        ___
                        http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser