Re: [sig] NEAT new product - useful for bling

  • wheezul@canby.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 20, 2009
      > On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 2:50 PM, Sfandra <seonaid13@...> wrote:
      >
      >> > A period solution is to sew them on with gold thread -
      >> > basically you make
      >> > a square to catch the jewel with your thread and do a
      >> > buttonhole type
      >> > stitch around it to hold it in place.
      >> >
      >> > Katrine
      >> > An Tir
      >>
      >> This is a technique I'd like to see taught somewhere. Because I've never
      >> been able to figure it out.
      >

      > It sounds similar to shisha (mirror) embroidery:
      >
      > http://www.sewfancy.com/shisha.htm
      > (scroll down for diagram)
      >
      > Is it ?
      >
      > Kazimira

      Yes, this is very similar. The medieval example - the Saint Vitalis
      chasuble - does the tic-tac-toe a bit differently. Instead of going all
      the way under and across, it just goes under at the corner thus saving
      more of the valuable gold thread. It kind of reminds me of a quilting log
      cabin pattern a bit.

      Katrine
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 21, 2009
        Thanks for the points to this embroidery technique. It looks very cool, though the only period example I'm seeing is an Austrian chasuble from the 10th C. But a number of my russian embroidery books still point at metal settings for gems, so I'll probably learn to use both methods.

        Thanks,
        Sfandra

        Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
        KOE, OM, Haus VDK, East Kingdom