Re: [sig] NEAT new product - useful for bling

  • T Duran
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 20, 2009
      On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 2:50 PM, Sfandra <seonaid13@...> wrote:

      > > A period solution is to sew them on with gold thread -
      > > basically you make
      > > a square to catch the jewel with your thread and do a
      > > buttonhole type
      > > stitch around it to hold it in place.
      > >
      > > Katrine
      > > An Tir
      >
      > This is a technique I'd like to see taught somewhere. Because I've never been able to figure it out.

      It sounds similar to shisha (mirror) embroidery:

      http://www.sewfancy.com/shisha.htm
      (scroll down for diagram)

      Is it ?

      Kazimira
    • Amy Tubbs
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 20, 2009
        Try this "how to" video on You Tube:
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om-ZrEi3LDo

        -- Vitasha

      • wheezul@canby.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 20, 2009
          > On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 2:50 PM, Sfandra <seonaid13@...> wrote:
          >
          >> > A period solution is to sew them on with gold thread -
          >> > basically you make
          >> > a square to catch the jewel with your thread and do a
          >> > buttonhole type
          >> > stitch around it to hold it in place.
          >> >
          >> > Katrine
          >> > An Tir
          >>
          >> This is a technique I'd like to see taught somewhere. Because I've never
          >> been able to figure it out.
          >

          > It sounds similar to shisha (mirror) embroidery:
          >
          > http://www.sewfancy.com/shisha.htm
          > (scroll down for diagram)
          >
          > Is it ?
          >
          > Kazimira

          Yes, this is very similar. The medieval example - the Saint Vitalis
          chasuble - does the tic-tac-toe a bit differently. Instead of going all
          the way under and across, it just goes under at the corner thus saving
          more of the valuable gold thread. It kind of reminds me of a quilting log
          cabin pattern a bit.

          Katrine
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 21, 2009
            Thanks for the points to this embroidery technique. It looks very cool, though the only period example I'm seeing is an Austrian chasuble from the 10th C. But a number of my russian embroidery books still point at metal settings for gems, so I'll probably learn to use both methods.

            Thanks,
            Sfandra

            Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
            KOE, OM, Haus VDK, East Kingdom