Re: Sewing around jewel was NEAT new product - useful for bling

  • bphall76@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 18, 2009
      Ask some of your local belly dancers, it's very similar to the technique to sew shisa(sp?) mirrors onto dance clothing. Also it is explained in some embroidery books.

      Vasilisa Myshkina
      Glymm Mere, An Tir

      > A period solution is to sew them on with gold thread -
      > basically you make
      > a square to catch the jewel with your thread and do a
      > buttonhole type
      > stitch around it to hold it in place.
      >
      > Katrine
      > An Tir

      This is a technique I'd like to see taught somewhere. Because I've never been able to figure it out.

      --Sfandra

    • Amy Tubbs
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 18, 2009
        Try this "how to" video on You Tube:
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om-ZrEi3LDo

        -- Vitasha

        On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 6:13 PM, <bphall76@...> wrote:

        > Ask some of your local belly dancers, it's very similar to the technique to
        > sew shisa(sp?) mirrors onto dance clothing. Also it is explained in some
        > embroidery books.
        >
        > Vasilisa Myshkina
        > Glymm Mere, An Tir
        >

        > > A period solution is to sew them on with gold thread -
        > > basically you make
        > > a square to catch the jewel with your thread and do a
        > > buttonhole type
        > > stitch around it to hold it in place.
        > >
        > > Katrine
        > > An Tir
        >
        > This is a technique I'd like to see taught somewhere. Because I've never
        > been able to figure it out.
        >
        > --Sfandra

      • T Duran
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 20, 2009
          On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 2:50 PM, Sfandra <seonaid13@...> wrote:

          > > A period solution is to sew them on with gold thread -
          > > basically you make
          > > a square to catch the jewel with your thread and do a
          > > buttonhole type
          > > stitch around it to hold it in place.
          > >
          > > Katrine
          > > An Tir
          >
          > This is a technique I'd like to see taught somewhere. Because I've never been able to figure it out.

          It sounds similar to shisha (mirror) embroidery:

          http://www.sewfancy.com/shisha.htm
          (scroll down for diagram)

          Is it ?

          Kazimira
        • Amy Tubbs
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 20, 2009

          • wheezul@canby.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 20, 2009
              > On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 2:50 PM, Sfandra <seonaid13@...> wrote:
              >
              >> > A period solution is to sew them on with gold thread -
              >> > basically you make
              >> > a square to catch the jewel with your thread and do a
              >> > buttonhole type
              >> > stitch around it to hold it in place.
              >> >
              >> > Katrine
              >> > An Tir
              >>
              >> This is a technique I'd like to see taught somewhere. Because I've never
              >> been able to figure it out.
              >

              > It sounds similar to shisha (mirror) embroidery:
              >
              > http://www.sewfancy.com/shisha.htm
              > (scroll down for diagram)
              >
              > Is it ?
              >
              > Kazimira

              Yes, this is very similar. The medieval example - the Saint Vitalis
              chasuble - does the tic-tac-toe a bit differently. Instead of going all
              the way under and across, it just goes under at the corner thus saving
              more of the valuable gold thread. It kind of reminds me of a quilting log
              cabin pattern a bit.

              Katrine
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 21, 2009
                Thanks for the points to this embroidery technique. It looks very cool, though the only period example I'm seeing is an Austrian chasuble from the 10th C. But a number of my russian embroidery books still point at metal settings for gems, so I'll probably learn to use both methods.

                Thanks,
                Sfandra

                Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
                KOE, OM, Haus VDK, East Kingdom