Re: [sig] NEAT new product - useful for bling

    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 18, 2009

      > A period solution is to sew them on with gold thread -
      > basically you make
      > a square to catch the jewel with your thread and do a
      > buttonhole type
      > stitch around it to hold it in place.
      >
      > Katrine
      > An Tir

      This is a technique I'd like to see taught somewhere. Because I've never been able to figure it out.

      --Sfandra
    • bphall76@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 18, 2009
        Ask some of your local belly dancers, it's very similar to the technique to sew shisa(sp?) mirrors onto dance clothing. Also it is explained in some embroidery books.

        Vasilisa Myshkina
        Glymm Mere, An Tir

        > A period solution is to sew them on with gold thread -
        > basically you make
        > a square to catch the jewel with your thread and do a
        > buttonhole type
        > stitch around it to hold it in place.
        >
        > Katrine
        > An Tir

        This is a technique I'd like to see taught somewhere. Because I've never been able to figure it out.

        --Sfandra

      • Amy Tubbs
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 18, 2009
          Try this "how to" video on You Tube:
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om-ZrEi3LDo

          -- Vitasha

          On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 6:13 PM, <bphall76@...> wrote:

          > Ask some of your local belly dancers, it's very similar to the technique to
          > sew shisa(sp?) mirrors onto dance clothing. Also it is explained in some
          > embroidery books.
          >
          > Vasilisa Myshkina
          > Glymm Mere, An Tir
          >

          > > A period solution is to sew them on with gold thread -
          > > basically you make
          > > a square to catch the jewel with your thread and do a
          > > buttonhole type
          > > stitch around it to hold it in place.
          > >
          > > Katrine
          > > An Tir
          >
          > This is a technique I'd like to see taught somewhere. Because I've never
          > been able to figure it out.
          >
          > --Sfandra

        • T Duran
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 20, 2009
            On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 2:50 PM, Sfandra <seonaid13@...> wrote:

            > > A period solution is to sew them on with gold thread -
            > > basically you make
            > > a square to catch the jewel with your thread and do a
            > > buttonhole type
            > > stitch around it to hold it in place.
            > >
            > > Katrine
            > > An Tir
            >
            > This is a technique I'd like to see taught somewhere. Because I've never been able to figure it out.

            It sounds similar to shisha (mirror) embroidery:

            http://www.sewfancy.com/shisha.htm
            (scroll down for diagram)

            Is it ?

            Kazimira
          • Amy Tubbs
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 20, 2009

            • wheezul@canby.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 20, 2009
                > On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 2:50 PM, Sfandra <seonaid13@...> wrote:
                >
                >> > A period solution is to sew them on with gold thread -
                >> > basically you make
                >> > a square to catch the jewel with your thread and do a
                >> > buttonhole type
                >> > stitch around it to hold it in place.
                >> >
                >> > Katrine
                >> > An Tir
                >>
                >> This is a technique I'd like to see taught somewhere. Because I've never
                >> been able to figure it out.
                >

                > It sounds similar to shisha (mirror) embroidery:
                >
                > http://www.sewfancy.com/shisha.htm
                > (scroll down for diagram)
                >
                > Is it ?
                >
                > Kazimira

                Yes, this is very similar. The medieval example - the Saint Vitalis
                chasuble - does the tic-tac-toe a bit differently. Instead of going all
                the way under and across, it just goes under at the corner thus saving
                more of the valuable gold thread. It kind of reminds me of a quilting log
                cabin pattern a bit.

                Katrine
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 21, 2009
                  Thanks for the points to this embroidery technique. It looks very cool, though the only period example I'm seeing is an Austrian chasuble from the 10th C. But a number of my russian embroidery books still point at metal settings for gems, so I'll probably learn to use both methods.

                  Thanks,
                  Sfandra

                  Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
                  KOE, OM, Haus VDK, East Kingdom