Potato

  • gayle warren
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 24, 2009
      Greetings from Florida!

      I believe a great part of the concern  from the Europeans in eating the potato was that the potato like the tomato is a part of the nightshade family of plants, the Solanacea family which has many poisonous plants within its family.

      I read once, many years ago in a book  discussing food history, that while the people of the New World ate potato, there was a European  biased and racist  belief that eating "inferior and poor quality" foods made the native peoples backward and  uncivilized. While the potato may not have poisoned the Native  peoples so badly that it killed them outright,  it may have helped to damage  them so they stayed,  "uncivilized".

      I guess an early but misguided version of you are what you eat.

      I  have been a Revolutionary War re-enactor for about 30years and we always had a great TOMATO debate.. .can we eat it and why the heck not?? My own  group gave up whatever we could not find in American Colonial  cookbooks or recipes of the era 1775-1783.  And we sure ate potato but only those little red ones and yams.

      I never could figure out why REV WAR soldiers and mollies  just WOULD  NOT give up their tomato for a few weekends a year. LOL!!! Tomato addiction??? LOL!!! Well, thanks for reading.

      I  hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving. Eat whatever you like... WOHOOO!!

      Your friend,
      Nancy Warren