panova questions

  • Patricia Hefner
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2000
      I'm going to make a panova, and I'm going to use acrylic for the coloring. I
      don't think I can find the right stuff for the dyes. Now, how do you sew one
      of these things? I know you use three panels, but how are these attached to
      each other? Sorry, sometimes written documentation really confuses me! Are
      the panels just rectangles? I know they're not supposed to be too full
      because in every picture I've seen of a panova the rubakha is showing in the
      front. Is that the only place the rubakha shows? It sure will help if I can
      figure out how to cut the darn things. It's for summer, so I'm using a light
      fabric, probably some sort of cotton. Advice, commentary, etc, etc?? Thanks
      in advance.

      Dekuji!
      Isabelle
      patricia.hefner@...
    • Kies, Lisa
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 2, 2000
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 2, 2000
          In a message dated 01/02/2000 12:26:35 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          lisa-kies@... writes:

          <<
          The panova was made of three equal panels of fabric sewn together only at
          the top, and gathered on a drawstring. >>

          Only at the top? Do you mean the top edge so that the drawstring can be
          placed through the hem or do you mean a place on the upper torso?

          Iu'liana
        • Kies, Lisa
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 2, 2000
            << The panova was made of three equal panels of fabric sewn together only
            at the top, and gathered on a drawstring. >>

            Only at the top? Do you mean the top edge so that the drawstring can be
            placed through the hem or do you mean a place on the upper torso?
            --------------------------

            The panova is a sort of split skirt, not a dress. The only place the three
            panels are designed to touch each other is at the top where they're gathered
            onto the drawstring waist.

            In service,
            Sofya la Rus
            http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia
          • BanAvtai@xxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 2, 2000
              In a message dated 01/02/2000 8:21:26 PM Eastern Standard Time,
              lisa-kies@... writes:

              <<
              The panova is a sort of split skirt, not a dress. The only place the three
              panels are designed to touch each other is at the top where they're gathered
              onto the drawstring waist.

              Thank you! Although I should have known that from Mordak's packet (blushes
              furiously).

              Iu'liana
            • Elizabeth Lear
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 3, 2000
                Interesting contrast with the panova: the plakhta, or Ukranian "winged
                skirt", is two panels sewn together halfway, then folded over a
                drawstring. The petticoat (pidtychka) does not show in the back, only
                in the front, and the top layer of the plakhta splits open in the back
                as you wear it to show the under layer fabric. I made mine of a stiff
                heavy brocade which was blue with gold on the outside and gold with
                blue on the inside, which created a nice contrast. You wear the
                plakhta with a sorochka (blouse), korsetka (sort of a flared tunic)
                and a fartukh (apron). This was a common outfit for women in the
                Poltava region of Ukraine.

                -Yelizaveta