Re: Hungarian Resource

  • Varju@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2000
      The Gesta? Wow. . .lucky. I'd love to see it for the illumination.

      It's an interesting document, but as a little word of warning don't take it
      as a difinitve source on some things, like the events of the Magyar Conquest
      in 895. The author took the events of his own day and combined it with
      accounts he collected of the Conquest era that had been passed down as word
      of mouth. Unfortunately that makes it hard to tell fact from fiction and
      even more unfortunately it has actually fed some fallacies that have made it
      into nationalist rhetoric.

      Noemi
      who is still jealous. . .its that person who wrote a thesis on nationalism
      that has to add the warning. . .
    • Lewis Tanzos
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 30, 2000
        So Katryna got me this book for Christmas, which I finally had time to
        pick up, look at, and read part of tonight for the first time.

        It's an English language version of "The Deeds of the Hungarians"
        (Gesta Hungarorum) by Simonis de K'eza., 'cleric' to the court of King
        Ladislas IV (1272-90), with commentary and analysis.

        It's a Latin transliteration with English translation, side by side.
        Latin on the left, English on the right.

        Drool Drool.

        ISBN 963-9116-31-9. (There's a sticker that says this covering the
        original printing, which says 963-9116-45-9. I assume it's a
        misprint, since the dust jacket says '31')

        - Stefan the Wanderer
        (Tansos Istvan)

        PS: Then, there's the back cover, which lists the other planned titles
        in the "Central European Medieval Texts" series. (This is Volume 1)

        IN PREPARATION:

        Charles IV, king of Bohemia, Emperor, 1346, _Autobiography -- Vita
        Caroli Quarti (1346) and other writings_

        "Gallus" Anonymous, _Chronicon Poloniae_ (The Chronicle of Poland)
        (c 1112-8)

        Thomas, archdeacon of Split / Spalato, _Historia Salonitana (c 1262-6)

        FURTHER VOLUMES IN THE PLANNING STAGE:

        Cosmas of Prague (c 1119-25) and others (-1239), _Chronica Bohemorum_

        Anonymous ("Magister P") _Gesta Hungarorum_ (c 1200)

        Vincentius Kad/lubek, _Historia Polonica_ (c 1203)

        Lives of the Royal Saints (Vitae of St. Stephen, St. Emeric,
        St. Ladislas, St. Venceslas, 1100-1235)

        Otto and Peter of Zitaa/Zwittau, _Cronicon Aulae Regiae_ (125-1338)

        _Chronicon Pictum Vindobonense_ (c 1350)

        _The Rhymed Czech Chronicle "Dalimil" (c 1310)

        Central European University PRess
        Sales and Information: ceupress@...
        Website: http://www.ceupress.com