Weaving patterns

  • Michele Frykas
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 31, 1999
      > From: "Tatiana"

      >All this talk of dyes and embroidery begs of me to ask, does anyone know
      >much about period slavic weaving? I'm not sure what kinds of looms they
      >might have used, but I'm looking for patterns, etc. beyond those used in
      >card weaving. Any input?

      There is a book called _Ukrainian Weaving Pattern with Instructions_ by
      Doris Elizabeth Yanda. Nothing historical other than "pattern taken from
      great-grand mother's wedding poyas (sash)" and "a few centuries old", but
      many pictures of sashes and simple tapestries with directions for a 4 pedal
      floor loom. From my eye, many of these can easily be reproduced on a
      tapestry loom, a ridged heddle loom or an inkle loom. (I know that the
      ridged heddle loom was used elsewhere in period).

      One of the patterns (Royal Kievan Pattern) looks as though it can be made by
      cardweaving. (Have to figure this one out one day...) There is a picture
      in the book of a "Plakhta" (panova) made using this pattern.

      Any one know of any other books????

      Dzinovia
      (have to get out from under this Taxation textbook and start weaving
      again.......)
    • vespirus@xxxxxxxx.xxxxxxxx.xxxx
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 10, 2000
        On Fri, 31 Dec 1999, Michele Frykas wrote:

        > Any one know of any other books????

        I have not been terribly interested in doing weaving myself, but recently
        began to see and appreciate the patterns in Baltic costume.

        Does anyone know of an instructional pattern book for embroidery in the
        Baltic States? (Preferably in English!)

        --Walraven