russian translating

  • lannonmac2000
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 6, 2009
      i need some advice. I am doing some translating of Russian text for an A&S projects. I have a translating program to help me, but have a couple of Russian dictionaries. I am still coming up with words that I can't translate. The text is fairly old so I am wondering if either spellings have changed throught the years. What is the explanation for not being able to find certain words and is there a location that I could use to find the translation of "antique words".
    • Lisa Kies
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 6, 2009
        Greetings from Sofya

        On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 6:56 PM, lannonmac2000 <joelisastevenson@...>wrote:

        > i need some advice. I am doing some translating of Russian text for an A&S
        > projects. I have a translating program to help me, but have a couple of
        > Russian dictionaries. I am still coming up with words that I can't
        > translate. The text is fairly old so I am wondering if either spellings have
        > changed throught the years. What is the explanation for not being able to
        > find certain words and is there a location that I could use to find the
        > translation of "antique words".

        I use Yandex first, and if I don't find a word there, I use Dal'. Dal'
        compiled his 7-volume (!) dictionary in the 19th century and it preserves
        many archaic forms, but it's a little bit of a pain to use, which is why I
        try Yandex first.

        Yandex:
        http://slovari.yandex.ru/

        Dal':
        http://www.slova.ru/

        At your service,

        Sofya

        P.S. I'm trying to compose a concise answer to the knight/boyarin
        question. *sigh*

        http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
        "Nasytivshimsya knizhnoj sladosti."
      • Yevgeniya Pechenaya
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 6, 2009
          If you'd like to email me off list with your text i might be able to help. i can help with translating specific words or over all literal translation.

          Lada

          Oooooh...
          SHINY!

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 7, 2009
            How early is it? It could be Old Church Slavonic?
            AVL