  • H D
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 7, 2009

      > My one and a half cents - the Finno-Ugric Livs, in the Baltics, wore apron
      > dresses.

      >That's not quite right. They wore the peplos--an unshaped overdress like the
      garment of the ancient Romans and Greeks. With a peplos, you just pin your
      brooches directly into the cloth; you don't put the pin through special
      purpose loops as is the case with apron dresses. Finnish costume of the
      period is believed to have looked more like this:

      >I've seen a reproduction of a 13th (?) Latvian costume that also included a
      peplos, but I can't find it right now.

      Yes, I was talking about the Latvian Livs (as in 'Baltic', leaving room in case the Lithuanians and Estonian Livs, about whom I do not know, also have this type of dress) not the Finns. Finno-Ugric is the linguistic not the geographical grouping. 'Apron' style is what the Latvians call it currently in translation which I personally feel more comfortable using than an unrelated Greek or Roman term. The Baltics are proud of never having been Romanised so I don't want to start now! Maybe we all need to find a new term and push for its use if this kind of garment is widespread across our areas of interest. I don't have the reference to hand to check whether there was a loop, and IIRC, there may not be enough surviving material to know whether there was one or not. As I said, it was one-and-a-half cents worth :)

      It's nice having a mystery to chase up, anyhow.

      cheers,

      Hilary