Help Developing Late 16th Century Polish Persona

  • calvin_w_renn
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 4, 2009
      I have recently decided that I would like my SCA persona to be a kozacky from circa 1570 to 1600. I am having a hard time finding patterns/vendors/sources for siatczane, and pants. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction. Also are there any differences in Polish riding boots from the mid-17th century from those of the late 16th? I would appreciate any help.

      Regards,

      Pan Mikulaj von Meissen
      MKA Kevin Schuman
    • rickjs
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 5, 2009
        The main difference in riding boot is a fashion preference for high boots by the mid-17th, but they also used both mid and high boots around 1600 - you see both on the 1605 stockholm roll.

        T0o bad you missed the Kozak event this weekend, battle of Konotop 1659, in PA. Eric of Polish Hussar Supply plus (look up on internet) was there, and had various stuff... I think he carries Kass's patterns too.
        siatczane? what?

        As for pants, we had another fun argument about that this weekend, with some ukrainians swearing up and down on various bibles that the cossacks wore the wide sharavari pants in the 17th C. as a matter of faith ("I gaurantee it" one said, shouting for emphasis) and others pointing out that of all the several contemporary pictures of cossacks only one, a "cossack groom tending a horse" wore slightly baggy pajama-like pants and every other pictured cossack without exception wore tight pants.
        -Rick