Re: [sig] Re: women religion

  • Patoodle@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 3, 2009
      Easier said than done, I'm afraid....

      I found this link from the publisher: http://www.impub.co.uk/dlug1.html

      Title of its version: "The Annals of Jan Dlugosz: An abridged edition in English of the great medieval chronicle"

      Sample text: http://www.impub.co.uk/dlug3.html

      Unfortunately, Amazon lists it as "unavailable," and I can't even find it in the Library of Congress. The publisher (which seems to be much more interested in selling books about spectroscopy) seems to be selling it for 60 pounds sterling (which is USD$97.50).

      Darn it all, I want this book too!

      Regards,

      Patricia of Trakai

      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 3, 2009
        Yes you have to be super careful because in the absence of facts there is often a rush of stories and speculations. For example, some sources talk about a female earth goddess but another source, a more academic source, said Whoa! there is no documentation supporting that at all, just a few old folk tales and morality stories about how we should respect the earth and its bounty which is analagous to a mother to us which some people seemed to have filled out with details from the ghia myth - there may have been no earth goddess at all, he said, or maybe there was.
        I don't know, have no opinion, and don't remember details, just did some reading several years ago.

        Also, the slavic and baltic pantheon seem to be different, but just as the greeks struggled to relate their gods to the egyptian gods, there has been much effort to draw similiarities amoung various pantheons.
        -Rick

      • jenne@fiedlerfamily.net
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 3, 2009
          Annals of Jan Dlugoz claims to be available from the publisher:
          http://www.impublications.com/shop/the-annals-of-jan-dlugosz.html

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 3, 2009
            FYI, this is the worldcat.org record for it,
            http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/37577645&referer=brief_results

            so if you have access to ILL, you might be able to at least borrow it.