Re: women religion

  • quokkaqueen
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 3, 2009
      Jan Dlugosz in the 15th century wrote about pagan practices, although he was discussing historic events, not things witnessed first hand.

      There is a brief quote from Dlugosz about men, women and children participating in a pagan ritual on page 287 of
      Dowden, Ken _European paganism: the realities of cult from antiquity to the Middle Ages_ (London, New York; Routledge, 2000)

      Another book that Jadwiga didn't mention, is the very readable _Roles of the Northern Goddess_ by Hilda Ellis Davidson (London; Routledge, 1998)

      A book that will frustrate you with it's sweeping statements and lack of references for its' assertions, is Jonas Trinkunas _Of Gods and Holidays: The Baltic Heritage_ (Vilnius : Tverme, 1999). It is an interesting read, but I wouldn't recommend it as a reference.

      Hope that helps a little,
      ~Asfridhr

      --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, jenne@... wrote:
      <<snip>>
      > > The paper has to show where women fit into their religion at that time. As
      > > an alternative if there is documentation I can do anything about women in
      > > the period church.
      ><<snip>>
    • Rachel Sampsel
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 3, 2009
        I know it's the Wikipedia of the mythological set, but pantheon.org has
        a lot of stuff regarding world cultures. Some of the articles have
        bibliographies or the ability to contact the editor, which may give you
        a good place to start. a quick check showed 38 articles for the Latvian
        region (I know it's north of Lithuania, but it's the closest I can get
        without doing some serious digging). They also have articles by name, so
        if you know the names of your goddess(es) you can run a check by that.

        Other than that, I have a deities book that *might* have some names and
        info, but I won't guarantee it. If you have names to give, I can check.

        Patches
      • panimagdalena56
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 3, 2009
          --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "quokkaqueen" <quokkaqueen@...> wrote:

          > Jan Dlugosz in the 15th century wrote about pagan practices, although he was discussing historic events, not things witnessed first hand.

          If anyone can tell me where I could get a copy of Jan Dlugosz's book, I'd love to add it to my collection.

          Magdalena
        • Patoodle@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 3, 2009
            Easier said than done, I'm afraid....

            I found this link from the publisher: http://www.impub.co.uk/dlug1.html

            Title of its version: "The Annals of Jan Dlugosz: An abridged edition in English of the great medieval chronicle"

            Sample text: http://www.impub.co.uk/dlug3.html

            Unfortunately, Amazon lists it as "unavailable," and I can't even find it in the Library of Congress. The publisher (which seems to be much more interested in selling books about spectroscopy) seems to be selling it for 60 pounds sterling (which is USD$97.50).

            Darn it all, I want this book too!

            Regards,

            Patricia of Trakai

            > Jan Dlugosz in the 15th century wrote about pagan practices, although he was
            discussing historic events, not things witnessed first hand.

            If anyone can tell me where I could get a copy of Jan Dlugosz's book, I'd love
            to add it to my collection.

            Magdalena

          • orlirva
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 3, 2009
              Yes you have to be super careful because in the absence of facts there is often a rush of stories and speculations. For example, some sources talk about a female earth goddess but another source, a more academic source, said Whoa! there is no documentation supporting that at all, just a few old folk tales and morality stories about how we should respect the earth and its bounty which is analagous to a mother to us which some people seemed to have filled out with details from the ghia myth - there may have been no earth goddess at all, he said, or maybe there was.
              I don't know, have no opinion, and don't remember details, just did some reading several years ago.

              Also, the slavic and baltic pantheon seem to be different, but just as the greeks struggled to relate their gods to the egyptian gods, there has been much effort to draw similiarities amoung various pantheons.
              -Rick

            • jenne@fiedlerfamily.net
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 3, 2009
                Annals of Jan Dlugoz claims to be available from the publisher:
                http://www.impublications.com/shop/the-annals-of-jan-dlugosz.html

                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 3, 2009
                  FYI, this is the worldcat.org record for it,
                  http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/37577645&referer=brief_results

                  so if you have access to ILL, you might be able to at least borrow it.