Re: Any embroiderers read Anna Kultchytska's book?

  • hastings_1066ad
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 31, 2009
      --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Sfandra <seonaid13@...> wrote:

      snip
      > BTW, the velvet povoinik from Russian Embroidery is on pages 174-175? It can be seen here, where a copy of the book is for sale for $69
      > http://www.easterneuropeanart.com/store/3116.htm

      Actually no, the povoinik is on page 287. It is one of the items that was part of the exhibition but is not a full color photo. As I said, there are a really large number of a variety of headdresses. This particular one is mid 19th century from Nizhny Novgorod province. "Couched and raised work in gold thread on velvet mounted on linen; picked out with spangles and metal plaques. Height 27 cm, max width 22 cm. The impressive design is based on the Tree of Life motif."

      It's the 2 pictures on the left 9front and back) http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y210/hodgepatch/povoinik.jpg?t=1251725397
      It's a small picture, but you can see where it has had a drawstring in the back.

      I also really love these "Matchmaker gloves" both as an item themselves (imagining the look of them with the traditional wearing of a rushnik wrapped over one shoulder and what an interesting bit of regalia they are) as well as the fact that I just plain like the motif as its a common one in both metalwork and calligraphy and I love how its translated to embroidery here.
      http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y210/hodgepatch/matchmakergloves.jpg?t=1251725495
    • panimagdalena56
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 2, 2009
        Compare the povoiniks from Anna's book to this picture of Polish embroidered caps from Magdalena Bartikiewicz's Polski Ubior (photo from Rick Orli's Polish Lithuanian Commonwealth Page).

        http://www.kismeta.com/diGrasse/Costume/Ubior/P53.jpg

        Quite a few similarities. I've also seen a very similar cap from the Kashuby region in northern Poland.

        Magdalena