Any embroiderers read Anna Kultchytska's book?

  • hastings_1066ad
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 27, 2009
      Ornament Trypilskoyi kultury i Ukrayinska vyshyvka XX st? Seems like it might be exactly what I'm looking for as an examination of the folk embroideries' symbols age and provide some back-up to the chain of inferences. I'm considering purchasing it from the Ukrainian Museum since I've been haunting their online gift shop lately. Just wondering if someone had a review since I'll be reading it REALLY slowly with my very beginning language skills.

      I also wanted to recommend Russian Embroidery: Traditional Motifs by The Museum of Folk Art, Moscow (no other author listed) since I chanced across it and I'm in love. It's about the same size as the Embroideries from the Zagorsk Museum and also comes in a slipcover. Its also similar with the captions in English. There are hundreds of examples of folk embroideries, many from the 18th century, including 30 or so headdresses for both married and unmarried women with front and back views. There's also a fabulous pair of "Matchmakers Gloves" done in gold on black.

      Standard problem of none of the actual pieces being in SCA period, but the accompanying essay does include some pictures of jewelry (including some really nice 12th century fibula.) There's also a gingerbread mold from the 12th century with a tree of life/flowering cross and birds that I have not seen anywhere else. It's an examination of a limited number of motifs including the orant goddess, the sun chariot, the peacock/bird, and a few others and I think its a pretty convincing argument and is better documented than other examples that I've read so far. Of course that could be because most of what I've read previously is English summaries and I took the time to labor through the Russian here (but, hey, its spiked my learning curve :) )

      Everything in it is secular embroidery and either domestic embroidery or clothing, including a really beautiful velvet povoinik that I'm drooling over.
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 28, 2009
        A copy of The Embroideries from the Zagorsk Museum is on its way to me, as well as a copy of Treasures of the Kremlin. My goal for the next year is to improve my embroidery.

        I JUST found this: "La Broderie Russe Ancienne" for $188 on Amazon, and I WISH I had the cabbage to claim it, as I do read French (the book is in French & Russian). Just the cover art pictured on Amazon is worth a look..... WOOT! BostonPublicLibrary has it in the Fine Arts stacks....

        BTW, the velvet povoinik from Russian Embroidery is on pages 174-175? It can be seen here, where a copy of the book is for sale for $69
        http://www.easterneuropeanart.com/store/3116.htm

        Also, I just found the folks at MadSamplarBooks.com and they are AWESOME because even if they've sold out of a book... they keep images UP on their website! The thumbnails aren't click-able, but it's still worth checking out.
        http://madsamplarbooks.com/Ethnic_Embroidery.htm
        http://madsamplarbooks.com/Ethnic_Embroidery_2.htm

        --Sfandra
        --who should be working, but isn't.

        > Ukrayinska vyshyvka XX st?  Seems like it might be
        > exactly what I'm looking for as an examination of the folk
        > embroideries' symbols age and provide some back-up to the
        > chain of inferences.  I'm considering purchasing it
        > from the Ukrainian Museum since I've been haunting their
        > online gift shop lately.  Just wondering if someone had
        > a review since I'll be reading it REALLY slowly with my very
        > beginning language skills.
        >
        > I also wanted to recommend Russian Embroidery: Traditional
        > Motifs  by The Museum of Folk Art, Moscow (no other
        > author listed) since I chanced across it and I'm in love.
        > It's about the same size as the Embroideries from the
        > Zagorsk Museum and also comes in a slipcover.  Its also
      • Hastings Sanderson
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 28, 2009
          I just got La Broderie Russe Ancienne last week. I got mine for $6. Its
          amazing what you can find by searching for alternate versions of the title
          :) Mine was labeled "Antique Russian Embroidery" in the description but it
          is the exact book and it really is incredible. There's a multicolored
          edging that looks like alternating hearts, done in blue, green, red and gold
          with bezants mixed in that I think is going to be the ornament for the hem
          on my next navershnik. I love MadSamplarBooks.

        • mfrykas@mts.net
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 28, 2009
            > 3. Any embroiderers read Anna Kultchytska's book?
            > Posted by: "hastings_1066ad"
            ><SNIP>

            > Standard problem of none of the actual pieces being in SCA period, but the accompanying essay does include some pictures of jewelry (including some really nice 12th century fibula.) There's also a gingerbread mold from the 12th century with a tree of life/flowering cross and birds that I have not seen anywhere else. It's an examination of a limited number of motifs including the orant goddess, the sun chariot, the peacock/bird, and a few others and I think its a pretty convincing argument and is better documented than other examples that I've read so far. Of course that could be because most of what I've read previously is English summaries and I took the time to labor through the Russian here (but, hey, its spiked my learning curve :) )

            I would love to see that gingerbread mold. Could you upload it to the files?

            Dzinovia (mka Michele)
          • Hastings Sanderson
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 28, 2009
              On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 7:33 AM, <mfrykas@...> wrote:

              > > 3. Any embroiderers read Anna Kultchytska's book?
              > > Posted by: "hastings_1066ad"
              > ><SNIP>
              >

              > > Standard problem of none of the actual pieces being in SCA period, but
              > the accompanying essay does include some pictures of jewelry (including some
              > really nice 12th century fibula.) There's also a gingerbread mold from the
              > 12th century with a tree of life/flowering cross and birds that I have not
              > seen anywhere else. It's an examination of a limited number of motifs
              > including the orant goddess, the sun chariot, the peacock/bird, and a few
              > others and I think its a pretty convincing argument and is better documented
              > than other examples that I've read so far. Of course that could be because
              > most of what I've read previously is English summaries and I took the time
              > to labor through the Russian here (but, hey, its spiked my learning curve :)
              > )
              > >
              > I would love to see that gingerbread mold. Could you upload it to the
              > files?
              >
              > Dzinovia (mka Michele)

              My camera isn't working right this minute, but I'll get a picture taken
              sometime this weekend and try to get it there by Monday.

            • lindalearn
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 29, 2009
                Go to Addall.com and do a book search for La Broderie Russe Ancienne.
                There are at least 14 copies from $35.52 to $100.00.
                This is the site for used & out of print books: http://www.addall.com/Used/

                Maria P

                <clip>
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 31, 2009
                  --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, <mfrykas@...> wrote:

                  > > 3. Any embroiderers read Anna Kultchytska's book?
                  > > Posted by: "hastings_1066ad"
                  > ><SNIP>
                  >
                  > > Standard problem of none of the actual pieces being in SCA period, but the accompanying essay does include some pictures of jewelry (including some really nice 12th century fibula.) There's also a gingerbread mold from the 12th century with a tree of life/flowering cross and birds that I have not seen anywhere else. It's an examination of a limited number of motifs including the orant goddess, the sun chariot, the peacock/bird, and a few others and I think its a pretty convincing argument and is better documented than other examples that I've read so far. Of course that could be because most of what I've read previously is English summaries and I took the time to labor through the Russian here (but, hey, its spiked my learning curve :) )
                  > >
                  > I would love to see that gingerbread mold. Could you upload it to the files?
                  >
                  > Dzinovia (mka Michele)

                  Terrible picture since its a pic of a pic due to my lack of scanning capabilities but here it is
                  http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y210/hodgepatch/mold.jpg?t=1251724802
                  It is in the opening essay and the only info listed is that it is a 12th century wooden mould from Novgorod
                • hastings_1066ad
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 31, 2009
                    --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Sfandra <seonaid13@...> wrote:

                    snip
                    > BTW, the velvet povoinik from Russian Embroidery is on pages 174-175? It can be seen here, where a copy of the book is for sale for $69
                    > http://www.easterneuropeanart.com/store/3116.htm

                    Actually no, the povoinik is on page 287. It is one of the items that was part of the exhibition but is not a full color photo. As I said, there are a really large number of a variety of headdresses. This particular one is mid 19th century from Nizhny Novgorod province. "Couched and raised work in gold thread on velvet mounted on linen; picked out with spangles and metal plaques. Height 27 cm, max width 22 cm. The impressive design is based on the Tree of Life motif."

                    It's the 2 pictures on the left 9front and back) http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y210/hodgepatch/povoinik.jpg?t=1251725397
                    It's a small picture, but you can see where it has had a drawstring in the back.

                    I also really love these "Matchmaker gloves" both as an item themselves (imagining the look of them with the traditional wearing of a rushnik wrapped over one shoulder and what an interesting bit of regalia they are) as well as the fact that I just plain like the motif as its a common one in both metalwork and calligraphy and I love how its translated to embroidery here.
                    http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y210/hodgepatch/matchmakergloves.jpg?t=1251725495
                  • panimagdalena56
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 2, 2009
                      Compare the povoiniks from Anna's book to this picture of Polish embroidered caps from Magdalena Bartikiewicz's Polski Ubior (photo from Rick Orli's Polish Lithuanian Commonwealth Page).

                      http://www.kismeta.com/diGrasse/Costume/Ubior/P53.jpg

                      Quite a few similarities. I've also seen a very similar cap from the Kashuby region in northern Poland.

                      Magdalena